Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro not seeing camera in USB, El Capitan.

My Macbook Pro is not detecting camera in USB, which I see using System Information. Other items in the USB ports are detected fine. This worked with 10.6.x (I think it was 10.6.4, definitely pre-10.6.8), then I tried and failed to install 10.6.8, and the computer stopped detecting camera. Then I was able to successful upgrade to 10.6.8 then 10.11.1, but it is still not detecting camera. Any ideas? Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Not detecting camera in USB port

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:46 AM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2015 8:43 AM in response to LianaApple

One of these will fix your camera problem:

(1) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(2) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - The Troubleshooting article calls the camera an "iSight". However, after the article was published, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app (Photo Booth, FaceTime, iMovie, QuickTime Player, etc.) in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, how to do it is explained in http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201754.

A "Standard" user account is all you need for testing.

(3) If your cam won't work properly even with Apple apps, use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS from the Recovery System stored on your startup drive. Don't bother testing Skype or other third-party apps until you have your camera working with Apple apps.

(4) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac and deauthorize iTunes before tendering it for service.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.1

Nov 28, 2015 10:27 AM in response to EZ Jim

Jim, Thank you for replying.

I think that article is referring to built-in cameras or to ones connected using Firewire. In my case, the camera that is not being detected is a separate digital camera, Nikon Coolpix L20. I used it fine with this MacBook Pro for years, with an earlier operating system, as I mentioned. I connect it to the MacBook with a cord, into a USB port, then used iPhoto to import the photos.

Now, the computer does not at all notice that the Nikon is connected. First I noticed that iPhoto did not detect it, nor Image Capture. Then, I looked in "System Information". When I open "System Information", then click on "USB", I do not see any reference to this camera (but I do see the iSight, no problem with it). If I put other things into the same port(s), they are detected fine. My built-in iSight camera works fine. I have used Skype since upgrading to 10.11.1, no problem.

Do you have any ideas, in this case? Thanks again.

Nov 29, 2015 4:53 PM in response to LianaApple

LianaApple wrote:... my .. camera ... is a ... Nikon Coolpix L20. I use... with ... iPhoto to import the photos... any ideas ...?...

Thanks for the new information. The fix is different for cameras exporting image files (your case) than for cameras used as webcams (my first response.)

If nothing happens when you connect your digital camera

Try the following:

• Make sure the USB cable is properly connected to your camera and the computer. If your computer has another USB port, try plugging the cable into it.
  • Check your camera to make sure it’s turned on and set to the correct mode for importing photos. See the instructions provided with your camera.
  • Check your camera’s memory card for damage. See the documentation that came with your camera for more information on this or other possible problems.

If the problem continues after you have reinstalled OS X 10.11 via theOS X Recovery system stored on your startup drive,

here are two workarounds that you can try:

(1) iMport from your camera using iMage Capture.

Save the image files to a folder of your choosing on Mac and import the files into iPhoto from there.

(2) If your device doesn’t work with Image Capture, remove the camera's SD card and insert it into the Mac's SD card slot.

The card should show on your desktop if you have configured Finder Preferences to allow it:

User uploaded file

You should be able to import into iPhoto from the appropriate folder inside the SD Card iCon on the desktop.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.11.1

Nov 29, 2015 4:53 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

I tried the items until the option of reinstalling 10.11, and the problem did not resolve. I am reluctant to reinstall that because it took a while (my Macbook Pro is early 2008...) and I think it will not resolve the issue, because it did not get fixed when I upgraded to 10.6.8 and the reason I further upgraded to 10.11 was for this issue.

My Macbook Pro does not have an SD card slot, but I just ordered a memory card reader online and will receive it in several days. I fully expect this will work fine for me. So the issue is solved. Thanks again!

Macbook Pro not seeing camera in USB, El Capitan.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.