Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Partition unmounts at random in el capitan

Ok, this is a difficult one: Long story short, My partition keeps unmounting. This all started when my system froze when an iphone call was redirected to my mac while I was playing Civilization 5. I powered down, but when I booted up I was welcomed to the flashing grey folder with a "?" Mark. Went through the standard troubleshooting steps, assumed it was the hard disk so I had it replaced with a Transcendence SSD. Installed the SSD, installed os x, upgraded to El Capitan. Was able to access my information on the old disk with an external mount via usb. Moved the data over (videos, pictures, etc) and all seemed to be well. I even made a time capsule backup on a 3rd ext. HD. Then, while running an app, (Civ 5 :/ ), the system crashed again. 2nd time around was more difficult but managed to get back to El Capitan via Time Capsule Restore. It lasted the day. This time, after closing the macbook, I opened it up sometime later and was greeted to a reboot and our old friend the "?" mark folder. Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Troubleshooting steps attempted are listed below: Mac details: Macbook Pro mid 2012 13", 4gb ram, 512gb Transcend SSD Troubleshooting steps: After 1st crash with old apple 512gb 3.5" IHDD: Booted into internet recovery mode Ran disk utility: unable to verify or repair disk nor volume (option greyed out) Switched to terminal and ran disk utility: same results at this point, since my data was not backed up, I bought an SSD and switched HDD (see story above) After 2nd crash: Ran disk utility: unable to verify or repair disk volume(option greyed out) Attempted to erase disk: process froze. Attempted delete and remake partition (several times): process froz at "waiting for disk to reappear). Ran same steps through terminal: same results as above Partition was set to: Disk0 - FDisk_partition_scheme, disk0s1 - 0xEE Began researching os x terminal commands and searching for similar situations. Installed mountain lion on a slow 16gb usb to run TestDisk: no results Played with Fdisk and fsck commands: no results Learned about GUID Partition Table Attempted to change partition from 1 to 2 partitions with GUID and back via disk utility, and fdisk: no results. Called Apple support and explained the situation. They think it is the logic board. I am skeptical because I can access the The old HDD and the SSD through usb ports with no issues. They suggest to bring it in. I live in Japan and due to location, that option is difficult Out of desperation, i resize to 16 partitions.... Success!!!!!! Repartition complete (no idea why) Reinstalled Mountain Lion: success Upgrade to El Capitan: success Restore data from Time machine backup: success System seems to be operating normally. Download some tv shows, organize photos, browse web. System is running fast. Shutdown mac and power up a couple of times: no issues Running system for a couple of hours, then close the lid (assuming it enters sleep mode): return to the grey "?"mark folder :( My apologies for the novel. I will be forever grateful for anyone who can point me to a solution other than sending it in to Apple support.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:22 AM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Onaed1979

Are you able to run your Macbook Pro (always) from an external Drive that has your operating system installed? Have you tried a pram reset or a SMC reset? https://support.apple.com/kb/ph18761?locale=en_US https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 Since it seems to be the GUID partition that Is not recognized. And you are able to install on an external disk. And this happens a lot when coming out of sleep mode. I suspect the internal hard drive cable which has also the sleep activator in it.There are terminal commands for checking the drive and repairing the drive ,but since you replaced the drive and still are having problems. It would seem to be cable or bus. The bus is in the logic board.

Nov 28, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Onaed1979

Yes, have tried both pram and smc resets with no results. I haven't actually tried running the OS from the same drive on the external port yet. I will try that. If it is the cable or the bus, would that cause intermittant unmounts, or wouldn't that be more constant? I have a feeling that somewhere in the firmware there is a file corruption, but that level of technical troubleshooting is beyond my ability, hence the post above...

Nov 28, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Onaed1979

Your firmware is installed by way of installing the operating system. Any upgrade to firmware would come as a download as a software update. If the firmware was corrupt I doubt if you could boot internal or external. Then if you suspect that is the problem you would need to take it to your nearest apple store . If you are able to get it to boot from an external drive, you can go to the apple top right corner/ about this mac/ systems/ then it's boot rom version and SMC That give you what firmware you have. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

Help! Partition unmounts at random in el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.