Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro HD replacement

I have a late 2008 15" MBP. Looks like my hard drive died. Instead of forking out the cash for a new MBP, I'd like to replace the old dead HD with an SSD. It looks pretty straight forward, however because the old drive is dear (won't even show up in Disk Utility) I can't clone it per instructions I've seen. Can I just install a ne SSD or HD and do a restore from my most recent backup? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:46 AM

4 replies

Nov 28, 2015 8:27 AM in response to hdough

This is a video of how to replace your HD so you can see how straightforward it is. You can restore from a bootable backup but since there's no OS on the SSD, you'd need to boot from something else to begin the restoration. And since most HD/SSD's are prepared for Windows, not a Mac, you'd need to partition the new drive with a GUID Partition Table and a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

Nov 29, 2015 8:25 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

This is getting painful. Installing SSD was a snap. Started up on Backup disk. partitioned and formatted new drive. Started restore from back up. Won't restore from latest back up. Tried doing re-install of OS, that seems to freeze up at the end, won't do automatic re-start. Now trying to restore from an earlier back up. Any thoughts?

Macbook Pro HD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.