Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.1.3 Crashing

I had iTunes 12.1.3 pushed to my relatively old Dell PC running Vista (64-bit). Ever since, the app crashes when I do nearly anything:

• Plugging in an iPad 3 (the first one with Retina display)
  • Attempting to update any apps
  • Letting iTunes sit open idly for a few minutes

Is anyone else encountering this problem?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 6:13 AM

10 replies

Nov 29, 2015 6:39 AM in response to iGuy1975

Welcome to Apple Support Communities iGuy1975. Has your iPad 3 been upgraded to iOS 9.x? If so, then you don't really have any iTunes downgrade options except perhaps the "64 bit - for older video cards" version of 12.1.3, which is really 32-bit iTunes with a 64-bit installer. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general advice.

If iTunes seems to freeze when the iPad is connected, then you might be getting AppHangB1 problem reports like the iPad user running Vista in Does iTunes Version 12.1.3.6 work with iOS9.1?

Of course exiting iTunes on Vista has been producing BEX and Appcrash problem reports since May 2014: iTunes 12 incompatible with Windows Vista Data Execution Prevention.

You might not be aware that Apple officially ended support for Vista with the release of iTunes 12.2 on June 30. Beta testing of iOS 9.2 should be nearly complete, so I suppose there's a chance that it might work better with iTunes 12.1.3 than earlier iOS 9 versions.

Nov 29, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Marvin Martianul

If you look at the first document listed by Marvin in his post, you will find a section titled Older Versions. In that one, there are two versions of iTunes, v12.1.3 specifically for XP and Vista. They are special versions that Apple put together. They are dated September 16, 2015 in the document. You can download the version you need and you will be able to use Vista, iTunes and iOS 9. Those are the only versions of iTunes that will work with iOS 9 and the Vista machine.

Nov 29, 2015 10:01 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

If you look at the title of this thread, you will find that it is titled iTunes 12.1.3 Crashing. I would infer that iGuy1975 is currently running a 64-bit version of 12.1.3, although there is always a possibility of a typo. One thing we don't know is whether the iPad is running a version of iOS 9, in which case "special versions that Apple put together" are unfortunately the only hope of supporting the device aside from buying a Macintosh.

Nov 29, 2015 3:23 PM in response to Marvin Martianul

Marvin Martianul wrote:

If you look at the title of this thread, you will find that it is titled iTunes 12.1.3 Crashing. I would infer that iGuy1975 is currently running a 64-bit version of 12.1.3, although there is always a possibility of a typo.

Thank you, but if you also notice, it says that iTunes was "pushed to" which wouldn't happen if the poster attempted to update iTunes. First off iTunes isn't pushed, and the Vista version had to be downloaded from the iTunes support website. I'm not trying to get into an argument, but there are a number of inconsistencies, and I made the decision to provide the information about v12.1.3, since it is not part of the regular update progression. Rather than make additional assumptions about the OP, I was waiting for confirmation about other information, as I felt the crash information could have been a typo, and that the ASC User tip you provided contained more than just the troubleshooting info, it contained the link to the Vista version of iTunes, and instructions on removing the current version on their computer and reinstallation instructions.

Nov 30, 2015 5:00 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hey,

Thank you everyone for your immediate interest in helping resolve my issues.

I am running iTunes 12.1.3.6 (obtained this info from iTunes --> About iTunes), 64-bit. My machine is also 64-bit, running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I did not mean to imply anything when I said 12.1.3 was "pushed" to me, other than that I received the upgrade prompt, likely along with a QuickTime update as they seem to appear in pairs, some time ago, and willingly chose to install it.

The real issue is with iTunes rather than the iPad (which is running iOS 9.1), as iTunes also crashes with no devices connected. It doesn't seem to necessarily be triggered by any actions either: While upgrading any apps causes a crash, just a moment ago I merely clicked over to the apps page, away from music, and that also prompted a crash.

Nov 30, 2015 5:12 PM in response to iGuy1975

See turingtest2's user tip on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates (as previously referenced) for details of how to remove all components of iTunes before reinstalling it. If your problems persist, it may be worth installing the "for older video cards" version of iTunes 12.1.3 (actually a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer) - download link in the same user tip - as some users have found this to be more stable.

Nov 30, 2015 5:13 PM in response to iGuy1975

If you are having issues with iTunes crashing, then I suggest you use that link provided earlier by Marvin and remove iTunes, then go to the section on Older Versions and download and install the September 16, 2015 version of v12.1.3 and install again. Make sure you use the instructions for removing iTunes from Windows correctly before reinstalling. That should take care of the iTunes issue. The special Vista version of iTunes, I don't believe, was an upgrade prompt. But the version I identified is necessary for the newer iOS devices, like the iPad and iPhone. Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2015 6:40 PM in response to iGuy1975

iGuy1975 wrote:

The real issue is with iTunes rather than the iPad (which is running iOS 9.1)

Of course Apple's bloatware is your tormentor, but the iPad running iOS 9.1 is the ball and chain that prevents you from escaping. Not two years ago, iTunes was running perfectly on Vista, and was giving Windows users in general a lot less trouble than it does today. You could be running such a classic version right now if you so desired, but there's one big caveat: no support for mobile devices running iOS 8 or 9. You could do it if the iPad was running iOS 7, but Apple in their infinite arrogance gives you no way of downgrading their OS. I wouldn't rush out to buy a new PC because Windows 10 users are also being tormented. Personally, I don't think anyone should buy an Apple mobile device without first buying a Macintosh to support it. After all, iTunes is Beta tested by Mac developers and Windows versions are just an afterthought. I would surmise that the one Apple programmer who actually knew something about Vista must have retired early in 2014.

Dec 3, 2015 4:22 AM in response to Marvin Martianul

Yeah it's a shame there's no Vista support anymore, but I guess with three versions of Windows being released since, it was only a matter of time.

I will attempt a removal/reinstall of iTunes, and then I may just wipe this PC and install Windows 7, because I don't think it could even handle Windows 10, spec-wise. Thank you everyone for your help.

iTunes 12.1.3 Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.