Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't split view work top/bottom?

I returned the iPad Pro as I mistakenly believed that it was capable of displaying a video or other content on the top or bottom half of the screen while in portrait view. I don't understand why Apple only designed split view to work side-by-side. That wastes a vast amount of screen space if you want to watch a video without using picture in picture mode.

Is that just a matter of an iOS update or is it a hardware limitation?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:41 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2017 2:06 PM in response to Zackwheat

Actually I have the same question, but I would use the top window for a map app showing contacts and the bottom for a GPS app. Landscape view takes up too much real estate while mounted to my car's dash, portrait with top and bottom windows would be GREAT. Your original post is two years old, probably "not enough people have called in about this." It's like they have a good idea and just stop at the point of accomplishing it, maybe someday they will hire someone who take things farther. There is nothing wrong with adding more functionality to the settings of a application, why limit us to the bare minimum. ??? Less is not always more..

Why doesn't split view work top/bottom?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.