Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to open my nat setting on Airport Utility, but it is not pick up the communication from my AirPort Express

I am trying to open my nat settings on my Apple AirPort Express so that I can communicate on Xbox Live on my Xbox One. The AirPort Utility and Express are not picking up communication between each other. I am using a Windows 8 computer, Arris modem. I have already contacted my network provider and they have set my nat to open.

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:43 AM

9 replies

Nov 28, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Sea Monkey 001

What is the model of your Arris modem. If your ISP has already set it to have an open NAT then it is not just a simple modem, but a combination modem & router or gateway device. What is the exact model of your AirPort Express? How is it connected to the Arris? ... by wire or wireless? How do you have it configured with the Arris? That is, do you have it set up to extend the Arris' wireless network or just to join its network as a wireless client?

Nov 28, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Sea Monkey 001

Thanks for the updated info. Ok, the issue is that AirPort routers are not supported by Microsoft for XBox Live! when it comes to providing an 'Open NAT' configuration. Most likely, it is believed this is true because these routers do not support UPnP, which Live! requires for both Moderate and Open NAT on routers.

You may want to check out the Microsoft Xbox support site to see what routers they currently support to get the best on-line gaming performance with Xbox Live!

FWIW. I solved my Open NAT issue by using a Cisco router as my main router and still use Apple products for my wireless network.

Nov 28, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Sea Monkey 001

Unfortunately, no. Both wireless and wired traffic coming/going to the Internet will go through the AirPort's NAT firewall.

However there are some configuration options you may want to explore to see if they can help.

Basically what it comes down to is that although you can get an Internet connection for the Xbox with the AirPorts, you may not get the necessary NAT setting (Moderate or Open) for the Xbox Live! on-line game that you want to play. As such, you basically have two options: 1) Create a DMZ (Apple calls this a Default Host) for the XBox or 2) Configure the AirPort for Port mapping to open the required ports to allow Xbox Live! access ... or 3) Use a compatible router.

Option 1 - Create a DMZ

(Note: This option completely exposes your Xbox console to the Internet. You may want to consider option 2 instead if you are concerned about the risks of doing so.)

AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Edit > Network Options

Enable default host at: <Enter the IP Address for the XBox>

Option 2 - Configure Port Mapping

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:

UDP 53

UDP 88

UDP 1863

UDP 3074

TCP 53

TCP 80

TCP 1863

TCP 3074

To setup port mapping on an AirPort base station, either connect to the AirPort's wireless network or temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to one of the base station's LAN ports, and then use the AirPort Utility, to make these settings:

1. Reserve a DHCP-provided IP address for the Xbox 360.

AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort > Edit > Network tab

Click the "+" (Add) button to enter a DHCP Reservation.

Description: <enter the desired description of the host device>

Reserve address by: MAC Address

MAC Address: <Enter the MAC hardware address of the Xbox or the MAC address of the wireless depending on how you connect the XBox to the network.>

IPv4 Address: <enter the desired Private IP address you want to assign to the Xbox>

Click Save.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the Express.

While still on the Network tab:

Click the "+" (Add) button under the Port Settings dialog box.

Description: <you must enter a description here; it can be anything you want>

Public UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074

Public TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074

Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>

Private UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074

Private TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074

Click Save

Click Update and allow the AirPort to restart.

Dec 1, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Sea Monkey 001

Be sure to temporarily disable any software firewalls you may be running on your PC. These can prevent the AirPort Utility from finding the base station. If that still does not work, try using the 'Configure other...' option from the utility's menu bar. Enter the LAN-side IP address of the Express. (By default, it should be 10.0.0.1) and the base station's administrator password. Can it access it now?

Trying to open my nat setting on Airport Utility, but it is not pick up the communication from my AirPort Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.