Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung EVO 850 in Mac Book Pro Late 2011 A1278 Model

Hi Folks,

I just recently got the 500GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO that I was going to replace the Old HDD OEM Seagate in my Macbook Pro late 2011. Here's what I've done:

1. Erase the disk and create GUID partition

2. Perform cloning using Carbon Copy Cloner from my Seagate HDD to Samsung SSD

3. Try to boot the cloned SSD from USB SATA connection and works fine

4. Try to replace the HDD with the cloned SSD

5. Start the macbook and I got the flashing question mark folder

Now here's the steps I've done. I tried to create a restore disk clone (without carbon copy cloner) and tested boot through the USB SATA. It works fine. however when I tried to swap the HDD with the SSD (put the solid state drive internally) it shows that the boot loader missing (flashing ? folder).

My assumption:

1. TRIM issue ? KEXT ?

I don't know much about this but I'm trying to clone from OS X El Capitan. I tried to clone from Yosemite and I still got the same results. I have no idea about the TRIM / KEXT issue with 3rd party SSD. Maybe somebody here would give better explanation to me. I would guess this is irrelevant unless from the beginning of installation I enabled TRIM. As far as I remember I didn't enable the TRIM. Or does it do automatically while you're upgrading your OS ??

2. SATA cable issue ?

I saw a lot of posts and comments mention about replace the SATA cable. I'm unsure with this because when I swapped back to the HDD, it works fine. My next assumption it can be bad solid state drive. If that is the issue then I might need to return Samsung EVO 850 back to the retail store. I might try to give a shot replacing the SATA cable, but I need recommendation which SATA cable would work.

Any comments and helps are highly appreciated !

Thanks,

Andy

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:14 AM

2 replies

Samsung EVO 850 in Mac Book Pro Late 2011 A1278 Model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.