Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will an SSD hard drive increase my speed dramatically

I'm slowly getting back into video editing. I have a 2014 MacBook pro, 2.5 i7 16GB RAM, and was editing some 1080 AVCHD on Adobe Premiere CC, and I was getting close to real-time rendering and scrubbing was real time. I would like to get my Mac Pro a little faster. Early 2008 2.4 GHz Eight core 6 GB RAM. I don't know how fast the motherboard is on my mac pro, but can anyone guess how much more speed I would get by putting in an SSD hard drive before upping the RAM? I know it won't be as fast as my MacBook Pro, but I want to try and ascertain if a five to $600 retrofit is worth it as opposed to buying a new Mac Pro.

Any guesses were specs would be appreciated

Mac Pro, Other OS, early 2009 8 core 2.4Ghz Mavericks

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:24 AM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 9:40 AM in response to nelsonmay

More memory and a SSD really make a difference, and spending a few hundred to save spending a few thousand usually works out better. You don't even need to spend $500 - a Samsung EVO 250GB (overkill for your older machine) is less than $100, and 16GB of memory is also around $100.

I've also reported this post to be relocated, as the forum you posted in is for PPC machines.

Will an SSD hard drive increase my speed dramatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.