Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp 6.0.0 and 3Tb Fusion Drive - Go or NO GO ?

ALL Mac users know, we are trying to run FALLOUT 4 on our Boot Camped iMacs! Is it GO or NO GO to try this with a 3Tb Fusion drive?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mac Evangelist - iMac 27"Late 2013

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:34 AM

On a Fusion drive, Windows is installed on the HDD part if BC Assistant is used. Windows will be slow. You should create a custom Fusion drive, if you need to install Windows on the SSD part, but the SSD part is a measly 120GB.

44 replies

Dec 2, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Loner T

Loner T,

After reading ALL your posts about HoshiAquarius and his OLDER iMac; should I be using boot Camp App 6.0.0 on my iMac 27" (Late 2013)?

P.S. (I have ordered a SSD external 256Gb Hard Drive THUNDERBOLT 1; and plan to set up Clean install of 10.11.1 and Boot Camp 6.0.0/Windows 10 from .iso file on the desktop. Go or NO GO ?????) . . . .and YES, it's for FALLOUT 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 3, 2015 6:13 PM in response to Ciné Rare

Received 256Gb SSD EXTERNAL THUNDERBOLT 1 drive. Command + R booted and installed El Capitan 10.11.1 onto this NEW drive.

Option key rebooted to THIS OS X on the SSD drive. Started BOOTCAMP 6.0.0 on the SSD drive, and began to load Windows 10.iso.

Luckily, I recognized when BOOTCAMP asks for partitioning of Mac OS X portion and Windows portion, the HD sizes AND name showed my INTERNAL "Macintosh HD" , which is 3 TB Fusion NOT the NEW SSD drive !!!! I want to boot camp to the EXTERNAL SSD drive. How do I eliminate the INTERNAL Mac HD drive selection within BootCamp Assistant ???

Dec 3, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Ciné Rare

1. Do you see the external TB SSD as a selection for the Bootcamp partition?

2. With the external SSD as the boot volume, can you post the output of diskutil info / ?

3. Check Application -> Utilities -> Console logs for any Bootcamp disk-related messages.

4. If you boot from the internal Fusion drive, and run BC Assistant, what choices are you given?

Dec 3, 2015 8:48 PM in response to Ciné Rare

Since your SSD is new, boot from your internal Fusion drive and the external SSD connected, using Alt/Option key or switch to the internal disk using System Preferences. Format the external SSD as Free Space in Disk Utility. Connect your USB installer, power cycle your Mac, and select the USB Installer to boot from. You may see two icons from the USB, Windows and EFI Boot. Select EFI Boot. If the installer comes up, in the disk selection screen, please ensure you select the external SSD (Free Space) and see if the Installer will accept it and install Windows. Please post any error messages.

By default, the Windows installer does not have TB drivers, so it may ask for drivers.

Boot Camp 6.0.0 and 3Tb Fusion Drive - Go or NO GO ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.