Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps shows destination position but not street!

I live in a neighborhood that was established (new streets) well over a year ago. When I enter my street address in Maps on my iPhone, it will put a pin on the map exactly where my house is (if I do this when I'm at home, it puts the pin right where my blue current-location dot is). But the map doesn't show my street! It shows the older streets that my neighborhood was built out from, but the location pin is out there "in the woods". But it's in the right place!

How can the part of the app that associates a street address with a geographic location, and drops a pin at that location, know where my street is, but the part of the app that draws the streets not even know that my street exists?

BTW, the Maps app on my laptop goes one better. It doesn't even show the earlier streets in the development, streets that have been there for a couple of years—so obviously uses a DIFFERENT database from the one used by the iPhone version of Maps (!)—but, still, puts the pin for my home address right where it belongs. *** is going on??

—howard

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:11 AM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2015 11:49 AM in response to ZikzakCorp

Thanks, but the information is not entirely missing. My first question was how it happens that the Map iPhone app puts the location pin on the map right where it should when given my address, yet does not show the street that the address is on. Clearly, the part of the app that places the pin knows how to correlate the geographic location with the street address. So why does the part of the app that draws the streets NOT know about that very same street? It knows about the streets that were put there a couple of years or so ago in the first stage of the development of my neighborhood, but not the ones put in during the second stage, that have been there for "only" a year and a half.

My second question is: Why does the Map app on my laptop not even know about those first-stage streets, as well as the later ones? Don't both apps access the same database?

And finally, why is any Apple Map database not current with, fer gosh sakes, the U.S. Postal Service, which is not usually considered an exemplar of modernity, but has been delivering mail to this invisible-to-Map neighborhood for the past year or two?

Maps shows destination position but not street!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.