Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage not refreshing automatically

Hey guys,

I recently came across an issue with imessage where my friend will text me, and I wont receive the text until like 5 hours later. Here's what I have noticed about this issue:

1) It occurs most often when I join a network, iMessage doesnt seem to refresh and notify about new message like other apps do when you connect to wifi with no data.

2) The time interval isn't fixed, sometimes it will be later by serveral hours, and other times by a day or so.

3) The messages seems to reappear when you send an imessage out, almost as if you lost connection to a sever and suddenly everything is good again.

4) I am currently up to date on software, using 9.1

So to my prediction, my phone simply didnt get updates from whereever it gets imessages when I reconnect to a network.

Is there anyway that I could force a refresh (like email where you pull down) or have imessage automatically refresh when I connect to network?

Cheers,

Kira

iMessage-OTHER, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 1:55 PM

Hi,

The best I can suggest is that your send an iMessages to yourself.

My iPhone is set to Start New Messages from the iPhone Number and my Mac from the Apple ID.

I tend to delete these tests between the two on a least the Mac.

This way it is a New Message.

It also means I an sending from one ID to the other.

You also get to see the sync copy (it make the app look like a parrot for a moment).

However it then does not bother anyone else.

I don't know of any other way to make sure the iPhone has connected to the iMessages server short of turning the App Off and then On again (but this may require other reset to link to Mac and for Text Forwarding as well).

User uploaded file

9:55 pm Saturday; November 28, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 1:55 PM in response to EvilJuiceBox

Hi,

The best I can suggest is that your send an iMessages to yourself.

My iPhone is set to Start New Messages from the iPhone Number and my Mac from the Apple ID.

I tend to delete these tests between the two on a least the Mac.

This way it is a New Message.

It also means I an sending from one ID to the other.

You also get to see the sync copy (it make the app look like a parrot for a moment).

However it then does not bother anyone else.

I don't know of any other way to make sure the iPhone has connected to the iMessages server short of turning the App Off and then On again (but this may require other reset to link to Mac and for Text Forwarding as well).

User uploaded file

9:55 pm Saturday; November 28, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 28, 2015 4:37 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph, thanks for the response, I have actually tried that already. But the issue with texting myself is that, it actually does not require connection to text myself. I tested this by turning off all data and wifi, then texting myself, which still works.

Do you think the next best step will be creating a second apple ID and imessage myself there?

Kira

Nov 29, 2015 1:23 PM in response to EvilJuiceBox

Hi,

I am not sure if SMS is part of the Carrier service for the phone number (i.e. handled by the telecom side) rather than being data.

I know the carriers make some distinction as payment deals can be for phone calls, text and data all listed separately.

On the iPhone the info under the option to turn Off (or On) Mobile Data does not list SMS as something that gets turned Off.

However a separate Apple ID will also provide an option to verify the iPhone is on line.

User uploaded file

9:23 pm Sunday; November 29, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

imessage not refreshing automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.