Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme with Time Capsule behind FIOS router

My old setup was a cable modem right to my desk. From that, I ran my airport extreme off of a port on the router and then had my Time Capsule drive hung off the airport extreme. I also had a new wifi extender upstairs.

I recently had FIOS installed and the wireless Fios Quantum router is on other side of house in living room. No way SWMBO will let me put the AE and TC in there. Verizion also installed a wireless access point at my desk. I plugged the Airport Extreme into the WAP and via AirPort Utility, I can see my old Airport Extreme. It tells me I have Double NAT. I believe I can Google Fu and figure out what Double NAT means. But, I am trying to figure out best setup for the network.

My facts & assumptions:

• Main FIOS router stays in living room with no other devices physically attached
  • I have a new FIOS wifi access point at my desk w/ 2 network ports
  • I have a Airport Extreme (AE) I used to use as Time Machine (TM) base
  • The AE (currently) sees the network (Double NAT)
  • I think I need to use the Fios wifi extender to host the time machine. I assume I need to put the AE on the wifi extender network connection. I assume I cannot put the TM directly into the wifi port.

Any ideas on the most logical install are appreciated!!!!

Time Machine-OTHER

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:34 AM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 9:41 AM in response to K J

If I understand your Verizon-provided WAP correctly it has an available LAN port ... correct? Did you verify that by connecting a wired device that it can get Internet access through this port? Also, I understand that placing either the AEBS or the TC where the Quantum router is located is not desired ... correct?

What are the model number of the Quantum router and the make & model of the WAP?

Dec 1, 2015 9:17 AM in response to K J

Ok, if you are getting Internet from the WAP. Your AEBS or TC should be able to as well. Either one you use will need to be reconfigured as a bridge to prevent the 'Double NAT' condition that you posted about. Your AEBS or TC will now be basically in a roaming network configuration with the Quantum router.

A roaming network allows you to 'extend' the wireless range and, effectively, your AEBS & TC base stations would perform as WAPs as well.

Airport Extreme with Time Capsule behind FIOS router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.