Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I initiate internal drive backup?

I have never backed up my computer on its internal hard drive, I know it's horrible (gasp!) but I need to know how to initiate the process. I have a lot of my files backed up onto external hard drives, but just need to back up my computer on its own internal drive. How do I do this? I am not a computer person, so dumbed-down step-by-step processes would be much appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:23 AM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 12:56 PM in response to TAannabell

"I have a lot of my files backed up onto external hard drives, but just need to back up my computer on its own internal drive."

This is one of the worst backup solution possible.

The greatest reason for lose of data is failure of the disk drive. If you backup your data to the same disk drive that is holding the data then you have both on one disk drive. When that disk drive fails, you have lost both your data and your backup. So you will have no place to recover anything from after that.

Get an external disk drive format it to HFS+ at least twice the size of the disk drives to be backed up, preferably 3 times. Then enable Time Machine to backup to that external disk drive.

How do I initiate internal drive backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.