Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital noise in the output

I hooked up a new computer. Started getting digital noise on the output with Logic 9. Never had this issue. I've checked all my sample rates to match. I thought it might be in my Motu hardware but when I turned the motu's off and just ran logic through the built in output it was still there. I've ran audio from iTunes and the internet in general and the noise isn't there. Just with Logic running. Bigger problem is it's happening on the computer I was using where nothing was ever an issue. Not its on both. Oh my god! Help!

guy

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 6:26 AM

Watch your levels. Be sure nothing is peaking in the red of the levels meters.

Also, double-check your volume (output) settings on your computer and in LPX.

7 replies

Nov 29, 2015 5:44 AM in response to BenB

After more tests it seems to be after hooking up the newest mac pro this is when everything happened and it's only in Logic sessions. Everything that was attached to the new upgrade and update was subject to the corruption. But again it's only in Logic sessions. And if I bring the session over to my other computers I've used in the past with no issues like this, the noise is carried over in the Logic sessoin. So it seems like it's imbedded in the Logic sessions. I can go to older Logic sessions that weren't involved in the update and upgrade and no digital noise in the new comp or the older ones. I'm gonna snap a video. The noise is separate from any of the tracks and it happens about every 8 seconds. I have nothing in the red. The digital noise isn't even in the red. I'll post a new rely with the video.

Thanks again

guy

Nov 29, 2015 6:20 AM in response to guyslogic

This is a short video of what's happening in logic. This all happened when I went to a 2008 Mac Pro from my older 2006 Mac Pro. Somewhere in the updating and upgrading this happened. It may just be coincidence with going to the 2008 but I don't know. The fact that anything that was in the computer I was upgrading to was subject. But only in Logic.
I've done clean installs on other drives. Wiped the drives clean and reinstalled Logic as well. Every Logic session that was in the newer 2008 got corrupted and is now carrying over to all three computers.

guy

Nov 29, 2015 8:13 AM in response to guyslogic

If you mute all tracks, and playback, do you hear anything? If not, un-mute each track one by one, find out which track it is coming from.

You can get digital noise if OS X system and I/O device levels are to high in relation to each other. You've not specified what those are set to.

User uploaded file

Not sure what else it could be. I've never seen digital noise just appear in an LPX system for no reason. Do you have a limiter on the Output track? That could keep your meters from peaking, but an individual instrument could still be peaking and distorting before its signal hits that Output limiter. I'd also advise filling out the feedback page, too.

Nov 29, 2015 8:12 AM in response to BenB

Hey Ben,

Thanks for stickin with me on this. I just read your message and did exactly what you said to do right before I read it. I started muting tracks to see if it did it.

So it turns out I had heard that digital noise before. The tracks I muted stopped the noise. My ikmultimedia plugins needed to be activated again because of the new computer. Stupid mistake on my part or ikmultimedia could of just not let me use then plugins and told me so.

I'll go with stupidity on this one. I should of known better.

So far since reinstalling the licenses I haven't heard the noise. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

Thanks Ben!

guy

Digital noise in the output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.