Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reference cell in different sheet

how can i use the values in a range of cells in sheet "A" to perform a calculation in sheet "B". both sheets are in the same "book" or the same "global" spreadsheet (or whatever the apple term is for a spreadsheet containing various spreadsheets within it)

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:46 PM

Numbers documents consist of sheets that contain tables (and charts and other stuff).

If the two tables are on the same sheet, the reference to a cell on the second table will look something like Table 2::B2. So, for example, if I want to calculate 2x the value of Table 2 cell B2, the formula would be =2*Table 2::B2 . I said "will look something like" because I do not know what your table names are.

If the two tables are on different sheets, the reference to a cell in a table on the other sheet will look something like Sheet 2::Table 1::B2. So, for example, if I want to calculate 2x the value of Sheet 2 Table 1 cell B2, the formula would be =2*Sheet 2::Table 1::B2 .

The easiest way to see/create the above references is to type an = into a cell in your first table then click on a cell in the other table to create a reference.

Remember that capitalization is important in table and sheet names. Sheet 1 is not the same as sheet 1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Lowoogie

Numbers documents consist of sheets that contain tables (and charts and other stuff).

If the two tables are on the same sheet, the reference to a cell on the second table will look something like Table 2::B2. So, for example, if I want to calculate 2x the value of Table 2 cell B2, the formula would be =2*Table 2::B2 . I said "will look something like" because I do not know what your table names are.

If the two tables are on different sheets, the reference to a cell in a table on the other sheet will look something like Sheet 2::Table 1::B2. So, for example, if I want to calculate 2x the value of Sheet 2 Table 1 cell B2, the formula would be =2*Sheet 2::Table 1::B2 .

The easiest way to see/create the above references is to type an = into a cell in your first table then click on a cell in the other table to create a reference.

Remember that capitalization is important in table and sheet names. Sheet 1 is not the same as sheet 1

Nov 28, 2015 11:10 PM in response to Badunit

Adding a couple of details to Badunit's post:

A Numbers Document is a Spreadsheet. It will contain one or more Sheets, blank canvasses on which may be placed one or more Tables, text boxes, graphic objects, and/or charts (graphs). Tables contain one or more Cells. Cells may contain data that has been entered directly, or that has been calculated by a formula placed in the cell.

"If the two tables are on different sheets, the reference to a cell in a table on the other sheet will look something like Sheet 2::Table 1::B2."

The Sheet name part of the reference is needed only if the table has a name that is also the name of another table in the document. If there is no other table with the same name, Numbers does not need the sheet name, and will drop it if the user has included it.

References created by clicking on cells (as in Badunit's instruction above) will automatically construct the cell reference and include the necessary parts of the cell address.

Regards,

Barry

how to reference cell in different sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.