Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't charge with any cable/port !?!

I woke up in a frazzle before my flight and dropped my iPhone into the toilet. Yes, there was some urine in the toilet. I immediately snatched it out, wiped it down with alcohol and took off the case.

Its got a hefty protective case on it (water resistant NOT waterproof, but the ports are exposed) , it wasnt too soaked underneath. It seemed to be functioning fine. I let it dry, wiped it down, and then put the case back on.

It was working fine all morning until I got off the first plane. It started to die (it usually dies every 3-4 hours, it has a terrible battery life already) so I plugged it in at the airport. It was charging fine. Then, I tried to charge it on the plane and it wouldn't work.

After that, it wouldnt charge at all, anywhere. I tried different cables, different ports. It just wouldnt charge and occassionally would say "accessory not supported" even though it charged my friend's iPhone just fine, and is my original cord.

Later in the day it charged to 75%, and then hasnt charged since. Im worried cause I havent backed up my files on it. I have left it in rice.

When I try to turn it on, it just gives me the symbol of the empty battery and cable with lightning bolt.

I am wondering what to do, its so bizarre that it wont charge and yet it did a few times... also that it is giving me the symbols when I try to turn it on.

My main priority is to GET THE FILES OFF OF THERE. !!!

IPHONE 5, 64GB. Just updated my phone a week ago.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 10:30 AM

5 replies

Nov 28, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Rouge Berry

There's not high bizarre at all about what happened. Most of the damage is caused by corrosion. That takes a while to develop. By turing it on while it was still wet, then using it while it was still wet, then charging it while it was still wet, you've probably completely fried it. Sorry.

Unless it turns on again, the files are gone. If your next phone is an iPhone, take advantage of the fact that iCloud will back things up automatically every night if the phone is plugged in, connected to WiFi and the screen is locked.

Nov 28, 2015 8:33 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

It wont turn on but it IS giving me the "needs to charge" symbols, so I have hope that its not fried... I feel like its just not REGISTERING that its being plugged in? 😟 I dont really care about paying for a new phone, I just want my files...

I was just about the back up all the files on iCloud the night before, too.. the irony does not escape me.

Nov 29, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Rouge Berry

Rouge Berry wrote:

It wont turn on but it IS giving me the "needs to charge" symbols, so I have hope that its not fried... I feel like its just not REGISTERING that its being plugged in? 😟

Stop trying to charge it. Leave it alone, not plugged in for a week. Leave it in a warm, dry place. You might get lucky.

You might also try brushing out the charing port with a dry, clean toothbrush. If there's corrosion there, it can be interfering with the connection.

I really don't think there's much hope but, stranger things have happened.

iPhone 5 won't charge with any cable/port !?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.