Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental controls/restrictions do not restrict local video playback 4th gen apple tv

Hello this is a little concerning to me, with my 2nd gen Apple TV I could use parental controls to require a pin number to playback Films or TV over a certain rating.

This Worked on content from Apple but also content being streamed over Home Sharing under the "my computers" button.

Now with the 4th gen:

I can only set caution for tv shows

I can set a rating for films (lets say PG)

Neither of these setting work for content on my Home sharing network, (yes the content has ratings in the meta data and previously worked with 2nd gen ATV) now it just ignores the restrictions and plays the content. I have small kids and clearly I do not want them watching the Walking dead when my back is turned!

Anyone know if i am missing a setting to enable this, (I have been through the menus) otherwise it is going back in the box and back to Apple. Also does anyone have a link for feature requests to Apple?

p.s it still does not group TV shows seasons under the name of the show it just lists all the seasons, but that is another story

Thanks in advance

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 10:36 AM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2015 10:26 AM in response to joemaurice

Yes, ATV4's parental controls are definitely a step down from previous ATV models, and have become a huge issue for me.

Now, if apps/ratings are restricted then NOBODY can play/watch them unless I go into Restrictions and disable them! It used to be that I would have to enter the 4-digit code to open an app, but now it says that I cant use it. At all....without unlocking everything.

Parental controls/restrictions do not restrict local video playback 4th gen apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.