Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX XAVC-S 4K levels clipping

I am having an issue with 4K XAVC-S footage ingested from my Sony PXW-X70 into FCPX 10.2.2. When I place a clip onto the timeline, the 109IRE levels are hard clipped at 100IRE. If I skim the timeline, or playback from the timeline, the waveform then shows the 100-109IRE levels, but as soon as that stops, the levels hard clip to 100IRE. Thinking it was a glitch, I lowered highlights -9 to bring them within broadcast standards, and they showed at 91IRE, but played on the timeline at 100IRE. On export, the levels were fixed at 91IRE clipping. This issue only happens with my X70 footage, and not the same XAVC format shot on my Sony A7sII. When I transcode the footage using sony Catalyst Browse, to any format including XAVC-L or Intra, ProRes, the levels will show and are handled as normal. This issue is rendering my 4K recording capability ute, as the footage is intended for broadcast, and hard clipping the upper 10% of my video levels is not good. Are there any hidden menus that would deal with this, like Adobe has with their 16-235 selections and such? Is this something I need to submit a support request or a bug report to Apple, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Paul Anderegg

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:28 PM

1 reply

FCPX XAVC-S 4K levels clipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.