Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes aren't syncing and are making duplicates

I upgraded my MacBook air to El Capitan and my iPhone6 and iPad mini to ios 9 all at the same time.

Now whenever I change an existing note it creates a new note, so I have duplicates and even triplicates of notes.

No notes are syncing between my the laptop, ipad or phone

Any help would be great!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:08 PM

What network service (such as iCloud) are you using to sync notes?

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 9:48 AM in response to s.fromsan francisco

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Check the Internet Accounts or Mail, Contacts & Calendar preference pane to make sure you're not synchronizing Notes in more than one account.

If you're not, disable Notes synchronization temporarily. The notes will remain on the server and on your other devices, if any.

Quit Notes, if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

Copy the whole line of text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return. A Finder window should open with a folder selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents—to the Desktop.

The folder you're moving is named "com.apple.Notes" It is not the subfolder named "Data" or anything else.

Caution: If you move some or all of the contents of the selected folder, but leave the folder itself in place, the application may not launch. Moving the whole folder will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

If you're running OS X 10.11 ("El Capitan") or later, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes

Re-enable Notes synchronization.

Relaunch Notes and test. If it works now, delete the folders you moved. Otherwise, quit again, and put each folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place.

Notes aren't syncing and are making duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.