Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run both Mavericks and Snow Leopard on my MacBook?

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, 2.26 GHz) currently running Mavericks 10.9.5. I wish I never updated from Snow Leopard and was planning on going back since iTunes (12.3.1) is now unable to find my library when I copied files from my Time Capsule to a new Ext. HD with the intent that the Ext. HD would by the new home for my iTunes library. I've researched how to change the location of the library and followed instructions but no luck. A few people, including my local tech, have suggested it's because Mavericks and the latter editions of iTunes don't play nice with my old MacBook and it was suggested that I go back to Snow Leopard. I'm willing, but use the latest version of Aperture (3.5.1) that requires Mavericks, and since Apple no longer supports Aperture there is no way to obtain 3.2.4 which is the last version that can run on Snow Leopard.

Would I be able to keep Mavericks and use it only when using Aperture while also being able to install Snow Leopard and use that for everything else? My MacBook seems to run better on Snow Leopard but Aperture runs fine on Mavericks.

I'm assuming if I downgraded back to iTunes 10.7 it would automatically get upgraded back up without asking my permission so there's no point in just downgrading iTunes and running it on Mavericks as a potential solution.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:40 PM

Boot off the DVD and use Disk Utility to create a new partition on the internal drive. Install Snow Leopard there. You can then boot into which ever OS you want.

5 replies

Nov 28, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the response Eric. A few more questions, being that I'm a tech nOOb.

How would I best go about this? Both my Aperture and iTunes libraries are on a 4TB Ext. HD. Everything is backed up to a second 4TB Ext. HD. I’ve just read that "running two partitions or multiple drives is the best way to handle this and provide the most compatibility as opposed to virtualizing.” I’m assuming that means either two partitions on my HD or one OS on my HD and the other on the Ext. HD? If so, what would be better? Could I place Mavericks on the Ext. HD and Snow Leopard on my MacBook’s HD, or is it best to make two partitions on my HD and use the Ext. drives only for my libraries and backups?

To complicate matters, I live in S. America where Macs are rare. In my city of 1 Million I only know of one Mac tech. My Spanish is good, but I don’t talk computers well even in English and am looking for advice or ideas before having the tech do anything, thinking he may just do whatever is faster and more convenient for him. I’m also wondering if I can easily do this myself, since I have Time Machine backups going back to before I installed Mavericks. Knowing what I'd want, I'd probably go the tech anyway unless it was very quick, painless, and easy to do myself. My Snow Leopard discs are back in the US, but I'm sure the tech has the install disc. Just want to know what specifically to ask for. Thanks again to anyone with advice.

Nov 28, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Currently my HD has one partition of 159 GB. How would I partition the disk so that I don't lose any current (Mavericks) info, or is losing info inevitable and I would partition part for Snow Leopard from a TM backup and a second partition for Mavericks so I can use Aperture? Assuming I just use Maverick's for when I use Aperture and Snow Leopard for everything should I make the Maverick's partition smaller? Suggestions on partition sizes? Are there advantages/disadvantages to restoring from a Time Machine backup vs. using the Snow Leopard install disk?

Would I go about it like this, as was posted by another regular here:

http://www.pondini.org/TM/14.html

If so, assuming I would start from part e.) where it says:

Select Restore From Time Machine Backup (Lion) or Restore System from Backups (Leopard or Snow Leopard).

Thanks again for any help. It's very much appreciated.

Nov 28, 2015 4:14 PM in response to ironchefchris

You are welcome. If your internal hard drive only has 159 GB, I think the external drive is probably a better location. Since the only thing you want Mavericks for is Aperture, create a partition on the external for Mavericks, and then copy the internal files to the new partition. After making sure that works, then restore Snow Leopard Time Machine to the internal. Time Machine will restore all your Snow Leopard data. I did a restore today - it takes awhile. 😁

Can I run both Mavericks and Snow Leopard on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.