Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running both Snow Leopard and Mavericks, MBP 2009

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, 2.26 GHz, 160 HD) that is currently running Mavericks (10.9.5). I’m having issues with iTunes (12.3.1) finding my library since I copied files from my Time Capsule to an Ext. HD. I’ve researched and followed directions, but my library, though on the disk, can’t be found and it also doesn’t want to find it on my Time Capsule either.

I thought I’d downgrade back to Snow Leopard, but Aperture (3.5.1) needs Mavericks. Now I’m thinking of running both Mavericks for when I need to use Aperture, and Snow Leopard for iTunes and most everything else since it seemed to play nicer with my MacBook.

How would I best go about this? Both my Aperture and iTunes libraries are on a 4TB Ext. HD. Everything is backed up to a second 4TB Ext. HD. I’m a newb when it comes to this stuff. I’ve read that "running two partitions or multiple drives is the best way to handle this and provide the most compatibility as opposed to virtualizing.” Someone also said I could "Boot off the DVD and use Disk Utility to create a new partition on the internal drive. Install Snow Leopard there. You can then boot into which ever OS you want.” I’m assuming that means either two partitions on my HD or one OS on my HD and the other on the Ext. HD? If so, what would be better? Could I place Mavericks on the Ext. HD and Snow Leopard on my MacBook’s HD?

To complicate matters, I live in S. America where Macs are rare. In my city of 1 Million I only know of one Mac tech. My Spanish is good, but I don’t talk computers well even in English and am looking for advice or ideas before having the tech do anything, thinking he may just do whatever is faster and more convenient for him. I’m also wondering if I can do this myself, since I have Time Machine backups going back to before I installed Mavericks, but would probably have a tech do it anyway. Just want to know what specifically I would ask for him to do.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 2:11 PM

As you said, your options are to either have multiple partitions on your internal drive OR install the 2nd OS on an external drive.

[EDIT]

If you have multiple partitions on your internal drive...

• you may run out of disk space on one or both partitions depending on what you save on the partitions
  • It is convenient because you don't have to carry another device with you.
  • if one drive fails, you lose both partitions

If you install the 2nd OS on an external drive...

• you will have more disk space for both OSes to work with
  • less convenient since you will have to have the external drive to use the 2nd OS
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 2:11 PM in response to ironchefchris

As you said, your options are to either have multiple partitions on your internal drive OR install the 2nd OS on an external drive.

[EDIT]

If you have multiple partitions on your internal drive...

• you may run out of disk space on one or both partitions depending on what you save on the partitions
  • It is convenient because you don't have to carry another device with you.
  • if one drive fails, you lose both partitions

If you install the 2nd OS on an external drive...

• you will have more disk space for both OSes to work with
  • less convenient since you will have to have the external drive to use the 2nd OS

Nov 28, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Duane

Thanks for the response and advice.

Would you recommend one over the other as far as keeping both OS's on the internal HD or one on the Ext. HD? The battery on my MacBook is such that it runs out of juice fast so it's pretty much permanently on my desk. The two things that take up the most space are my iTunes music folder and my Aperture library. Would the OS run faster from the internal HD or does it not make a difference if run off an Ext. HD using a USB 2 connection?

Currently my HD has one partition of 159 GB. If I choose the both OS on the internal HD option, how would I partition the disk so that I don't lose any info, or is losing info inevitable and I would partition part for Snow Leopard from a TM backup and a second partition for Mavericks so I can use Aperture? Assuming I just use Maverick's for when I use Aperture and Snow Leopard for everything should I make the Maverick's partition smaller? What size? Thanks for any help. It's very much appreciated.

Running both Snow Leopard and Mavericks, MBP 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.