Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 10.0.5 incompatible with Yosemite 10.10.3

My Macbook Pro retina screen started failing (colored lines, black bars etc) so I paid Apple to replace the screen. I had not realized they would also do a clean install with Yosemite 10.10.3

Now my FCPX app is incompatible. I know I am supposed to update it but I don't know I go about that. My purchase was from the itunes store not the app store so it doesn't show up in my app purchases, only my itunes store purchase history. Thanks for any suggestions

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:37 AM

26 replies

Nov 28, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Russ H

I am not sure what your advice amounts to Russ. Clearly there wouldn't be much point in reverting to an older OS... just be asking for more of these situations where nothing is compatible. I didn't ask for your opinion on whether an app version I employ is "ancient history". I had not required the newer versions of FCPX up to this point. My question is how I access the updates so that I can use a program I've already bought and continue editing on my computer.

Nov 28, 2015 10:42 PM in response to St. Columbkille

St. Columbkille wrote:

... Clearly there wouldn't be much point in reverting to an older OS... ...

if you insist to use an antiqué old version of FCPX, you have to revert to a compatible, older OS version.

old OS=old app, new OS=new app version. simple.

And: all updates, since version 0.0. of FCPX were free, as long as your Mac fullfills min specs, don't hesitate to update, o.5 is history, you really miss tons of improvements.-

What's confusing, you're telling us 'FCPX bought in iTunes' ... no, never ever. iOS-apps, perhaps. But MacOS app? No way.

Plus, for any purchase you get a receipt, check your mails.

Finally: FCPX can easiely re-installed from your Timemachine backup…

Nov 29, 2015 2:26 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

What's confusing, you're telling us 'FCPX bought in iTunes' ... no, never ever. iOS-apps, perhaps. But MacOS app? No way.

Plus, for any purchase you get a receipt, check your mails.

In the interest of sanity, I think it is opportune to say that the OP referring to itunes is not completely wrong.

Yes, noone could ever buy FCP X from the iTunes store - in the sense that you could not open iTunes, go to the Store, and buy.

BUT... for a while the receipt we got from buying software at the MAC App Store came with the iTunes brand name.

There probably lies the confusion.

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I never said I was insisting on using an antique/older version, just that I hadn't updated it. If you wish I can go into the reasons why but that wasn't really the point of my question. (Clearly I wasn't getting any update notifications as I was not listed as a FCPX owner in the app store.) Obviously now I wish I had updated. If you read my original post you would notice that I had not been informed they would do a clean install thus I was not aware that I would lose the ability to use my editing program.

This: "old OS=old app, new OS=new app version. simple." is not helpful.

As I've stated: I want to update to the latest version of FCPX so I can use it with the OS but cannot because the app store doesn't list it as a purchase.

I know I purchased it with Apple directly and it was online. When I could only find it in the itunes store purchase history I assumed that's where I must have ordered it from but now I know from these responses that it must have been through the app store.

"Plus, for any purchase you get a receipt, check your mails." this is helpful. You just reminded me that the receipt may have gone to a hotmail account as well as my Mail address (of which all the old emails from my old computer are now inaccessible). So I'll look for that.

Nov 29, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis, I did find it strange. When I go to itunes on my Mac and open Purchased in the itunes store drop-down list I was getting this page (it lists Final Cut Pro with a date of purchase and the price further down the list).

Here's a partial screen shot:

User uploaded file

I'm glad I took a screen shot as I could find this page up until today. Now I just get this page below and can't work out where to look for non iPhone/iPad app purchases...

User uploaded file

I'm beginning to think that the problem must be that I was not in the US when I purchased it even though Apple Support told me that it shouldn't matter if my AppleID was the same.

Nov 29, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Russ H

PPerhaps it's the OS you're using but I don't see anything like that in the current OS in iTunes.

REgardless, the app and its updates MUST be downloaded from the MAC APP STORE. Anything that the OP sees in iTunes has ZERO relevance to downloading the app from the Mac App Store. If it does not appear in Purchased in the MAC APP STORE it cannot be downloaded. The iTunes Store is just obfuscating the problem. If it isn't in the Purchased page the OP must contact Mac App Store support. I don't nt see any indication that that has been done. We're going around in circles until the OP has direct contact with App Store support about the purchase. No user here can help In any way.

Nov 30, 2015 2:05 AM in response to St. Columbkille

St. Columbkille wrote:

Thanks Luis, I did find it strange. When I go to itunes on my Mac and open Purchased in the itunes store drop-down list I was getting this page (it lists Final Cut Pro with a date of purchase and the price further down the list).

Here's a partial screen shot:

User uploaded file

This is good information. It confirms that you bought FCP X under that Apple ID.

I'm glad I took a screen shot as I could find this page up until today. Now I just get this page below and can't work out where to look for non iPhone/iPad app purchases...

User uploaded file

I'm beginning to think that the problem must be that I was not in the US when I purchased it even though Apple Support told me that it shouldn't matter if my AppleID was the same.

Like Tom said, you will NOT see Mac apps here. They are shown in the Mac App Store.

You have just raised an important point that I don't recall seeing in this thread. You may have bought software in a different Mac App Store.

If you are seeing an App Store from a country which is not the one where you bought the application, that may explain the whole thing.

Try this: open the Mac App Store, click on Purchases:

User uploaded file

At the very bottom, there is a flag indicating which version of the App Store you're in. For example, I'm in Portugal, so my purchases are from the Portuguese App Store, indicated by

User uploaded file

This little flag is actually a button. Clicking it one gets to choose a different store. Chose the one where you bought the software and it should be there for you.

User uploaded file

FCP 10.0.5 incompatible with Yosemite 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.