Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 iMovie

Good afternoon

I was browsing the inside of my Macbook Air in Finder and I just realized that two iMovie exists.

I managed to take three screenshots for you to tell me what I can do with one of them, which one should I completely delete (if so) and how?...and why two iMovies are in my Mac?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 1:06 PM

8 replies

Nov 28, 2015 5:23 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

The one withe mauve star icon is iMovie version 10. When you upgraded from iMovie 9 it left a copy in the folder. You can still use either version. Projects and events in iMovie 9 can be upgraded to iMovie 10 from within iMovie 10. This way you can try out iMovie 10 then decide whether you want to switch to using it or stay with iMovie 9. iMovie 10 is very different and has removed support for some features and for some older camera hardware and is less friendly for those who want to burn DVDs. If you switch to iMovie 10 and transfer all projects and events from iMovie 9 over you can delete the iMovie 9 application folder as well as your iMovie events and iMovie projects folders. iMovie 10 will have moved everything into a library with the the extension .imovielibrary.

Geoff.

Nov 28, 2015 5:32 PM in response to GeeD

You are indeed very kind GeeD to help a grand ma.

Since I have already iMovie 10 installed in my Mac, I want to erase the old version of iMovie.

So, from my poor understandings, to delete that program in Mac, I will do the following, right?

Click Finder

Click Applications

Click iMovie 9.0.9 (the blue folder) and drag it to the trash bin

Am I correct dear?

PS: I have no movies created yet with iMovie, so no projects are into existence.

2 iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.