Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are emoji deleted from iOS9.1 (ex. Kadomatsu)?

Why were traditional emoji (Japanese emotion characters) like kadomatsu (Japanese New Years Shinto spirit welcomes) deleted from iOS9.1? Kadomatsu were in IOS Keyboards back years ago on my old iPhone3GS. It seems discrimination against Shinto practitioners to remove now for new devices with new iOS.

These are EMOJI from Japan!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2, Bot unlocked from Apple on T-Mobile

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 1:36 PM

10 replies

Nov 29, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

But how do I get back the functionality of the Japanese emoji that were a part of the Japanese culture ?

I checked my old iPhone3GS, the kadomatsu is still the very first icon under the Bell section on the Emoji keyboard.

It's so discrimination against the Japanese to remove cultural icons from a keyboard that was created for the Japanese in the first place!

Nov 29, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Agent Vanilla

I'm not sure I understand understand what your problem is. Kadomatsu is number 604 on the list I gave you the link for. I think it has been in Unicode for 5 years already.

User uploaded file

If for some reason you can't find it on the keyboard, copy paste it into a shortcut.

If you think it is missing and needs to be added to the keyboard, ask Apple to do that via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 30, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Agent Vanilla

Agent Vanilla wrote:

Yes. Prior to iPhone emoji, I used KDDI AU type phone in the 2000s with the Japanese emojis. Kind of differnt look but very good for local custom.

What I actually meant was that it's possible to do this without any emoji, that Shinto is just a bit older than mobile phones, that there are written words that will express this. 😉

Why are emoji deleted from iOS9.1 (ex. Kadomatsu)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.