Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotify doesn't show up in Spotlight

I am running Mac os x 10.11.1

The bug was there already at Mac os x Yosemite

I have Spotify installed on my mac. But when I search for 'Spotify' in Spotlight, only system files will show up, not the Spotify application. So I have to manually start Spotify from the Dock (or from Launchpad). Is this a known bug?

I have now idea of what the problem is. Does someone have the same problem, or is it something wrong with my computer? Does someone have a fix that I can try? All other applications can be launched from Spotlight.User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2015 11:42 PM

I was having the same problem for a while now, but I was too lazy to reset my Spotlight Index. You need to reset your Spotlight Index. Takes one minute total. Then 5 minutes to spotlight to reindex your file structures. Do it brah.

To reset your Mac’s Spotlight index, you can use Terminal-based approaches, but this adds complexity to a relatively easy way to rebuild your Spotlight index, which is to add your entire hard drive to Spotlight’s Privacy list, and then remove it:

1. Go to System Preferences, Select Spotlight
  2. Go to the Privacy tab in the Spotlight system preferences
  3. Click the Plus button
  4. Press Shift-Command-C to reveal your hard drives (if they are not available otherwise), or simply navigate to your hard drive (most likely MacintoshHD)
  5. If you have more than one hard drive, hold the Command key and click your various drives to add them to your selection
  6. Click the “Choose” button to add them to the Privacy list
  7. Ignore the warning.
  8. Remove the hard drive by clicking the minus sign.
  9. Boom, no more sad days.

Props to http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/12/how-to-determine-when-your-spotlight-index-n eeds-to-be-rebuilt/ for the orginal solution.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2015 11:42 PM in response to CMDJojo

I was having the same problem for a while now, but I was too lazy to reset my Spotlight Index. You need to reset your Spotlight Index. Takes one minute total. Then 5 minutes to spotlight to reindex your file structures. Do it brah.

To reset your Mac’s Spotlight index, you can use Terminal-based approaches, but this adds complexity to a relatively easy way to rebuild your Spotlight index, which is to add your entire hard drive to Spotlight’s Privacy list, and then remove it:

3. Click the Plus button
  4. Press Shift-Command-C to reveal your hard drives (if they are not available otherwise), or simply navigate to your hard drive (most likely MacintoshHD)
  5. If you have more than one hard drive, hold the Command key and click your various drives to add them to your selection
  6. Click the “Choose” button to add them to the Privacy list
  7. Ignore the warning.
  8. Remove the hard drive by clicking the minus sign.
  9. Boom, no more sad days.

Props to http://www.macissues.com/2014/12/12/how-to-determine-when-your-spotlight-index-n eeds-to-be-rebuilt/ for the orginal solution.

Aug 11, 2017 6:40 AM in response to CMDJojo

I had the same issue, but with Safari instead of Spotify. The chose solution didn't work, but this did:

3. Remove Applications check mark
  4. Close Spotlight Settings window
  5. Again, go to System Preferences, Select Spotlight
  6. Again, go to the Privacy tab in the Spotlight system preferences
  7. Select Applications again

User uploaded file

Spotify doesn't show up in Spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.