Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate External drive problem

Hi

I have a seagate external HD (2 gig). Been using it for about 2 years without a problem. I was about to make sme backups today and the HD icon shows up on my desktop ( I have access to all my files). But it's not showing up anymore in finder. The external disks check is on. I havent changed anything and now I'm unable to copy anything from my laptop to the HD. Drag and drop doesnt work either.

I did go to disk utility and the drive is showing up as NTFS. I did convert it when I first bought the HD and then everything worked for 2 years up until today.

I DO NOT want to format my HD as it's half full (1 gig) of stuff that I dont have access to anymore.

Any idea why this happened? Any way to fix this without formating? Could that be due to the new upgrade (IOS)

Thanks for your help... I'm not a wiz in this kind of stuff.... keep the explanation easy! 🙂

MY

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 1:34 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2015 4:49 PM in response to ATC-MY

If you go to utilities/disk utilities/ With external drive mounted. You should be able to click on the drive in the left panel and down at the bottom it will say what is installed. Mac os extended or NTFS or Fat 32. If it change to NTFS that would be why you cannot write to it. Also if this is not the problem then you could try right clicking on the external drive and the get info. Then down at the bottom of (get info) where it says permissions. If it says read only ,click on the lock, type in your password and change to read and write Then click the lock to save changes.

Nov 30, 2015 11:56 AM in response to ATC-MY

You have not said what the drive is formatted to. Did you try what I said about using (get info). As for reformatting a drive. When you do this as far as I know you loose all info stored on it. When the drive is installed on the desktop it will show in disk utilities. If the main drive is clicked on, you can read what the formate is down on the bottom. If it is formatted to windows and you do not want to lose the data stored on it, the you will need to follow the suggestion offered by Ogelthorpe.

Seagate External drive problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.