Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating graphics card drivers?

Hey,

So, I've contacted both Apple and Microsoft support regarding the problem with updating graphics card drivers on Windows when running Boot Camp on an iMac, but no one knows what to do and both keep redirecting me to the other. How do I even update my video card drivers? I've tried downloading the AMD Catalyst software, and it tells me there are new drivers available, but when I try to install them it tells me that the drivers can't be found and the installation fails. Relying on Apple to supply me with graphics card drivers is obsolete since I had an iMac from 2009 until a few months ago and I ended up having to use six year old drivers since they could never be updated. I'd like to know what to do about this.

Thanks,

Max

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, MID 2015), Mac OS X (10.6.2), Windows 8.1 through Boot Camp

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:01 PM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 12:35 PM in response to xSOMx

1. Apple expects to use their BC-certified drivers only.

2. Using WHQL drivers has always been a problem on Macs, because of modifications that Apple makes to their hardware. For example the whole 5K display in W10.

3. nVidia has kept their WHQL and OS X drivers on par, which seems to work much better.

4. AMD has never solved such issues to the satisfaction of a limited user community which uses both OSes. The cylinder MP and the latest 5K iMacs are prima examples of such issues.

5. Choose to run Windows at your own risk or give up Apple-specific features and use WHQL drivers and rely on appropriate drivers and potential issues on Macs.

Updating graphics card drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.