Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 macpro internal drive failure

One of my internal drives is not mounting . Is there a good program to overcome a non mounting drive? I am on ElCapitan

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:07 PM

If it does not perk up with a few passes of Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]) it will need to be replaced. Once you have restored the data from your Trusted Backup, you can try security erase, writing zeroes to the old drive**. If it passes, it has 100 percent good blocks again. if it fails, it is a bona fide doorstop.

** there is no need, and it can be damaging to attempt to Zero an SSD. Do this only on a Rotating Magnetic drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 7:07 PM in response to Stanley Sagov

If it does not perk up with a few passes of Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]) it will need to be replaced. Once you have restored the data from your Trusted Backup, you can try security erase, writing zeroes to the old drive**. If it passes, it has 100 percent good blocks again. if it fails, it is a bona fide doorstop.

** there is no need, and it can be damaging to attempt to Zero an SSD. Do this only on a Rotating Magnetic drive.

Nov 28, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

AActually after many attempts at recovery with disk utility ,disk warrior and tech tool pro and some others I could not find any data on the drive when I could get it to mount .Gave up ,took the wrong internal disk out and turned off the system.On turning it on again the disk mounted and appears to be fine .I am backing it up and am really not sure what fixed the problem

Nov 28, 2015 8:00 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

that is good advice and after backing up I will plan to replace the disc tomorrow.

I am a bit puzzled about how to identify the right disc bay since they seem to be numbered 0,1,2,3,4 on disk utility but when I removed what I thought was the defective disk it was the wrong one (labelled as 1 in disk utility). How do you get the is accurate?

2009 macpro internal drive failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.