Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does a pdf file have strange characters in the text?

I downloaded a pdf file from an insurance website about a year ago without a problem. Using the same computer and browser (Safari) I have just downloaded the most current version of this pdf file and the first page or 2 appear normal but the many pages after that are illegible. Some of the text characters are OK but most look like they are in a (perhaps) foreign language font. The company sent me a copy of the file attached to an email that they say is legible on their end but it still has the same problems as before. I also tried to download it in Chrome and Firefox but it makes no difference. Is there a solution to this problem? Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), MacBookPro11,3; Airport Time Capsule

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:28 PM

TTry opening it with Adobe reader instead of Preview

3 replies

Why does a pdf file have strange characters in the text?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.