Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Yosemite back to Mavericks

Hello!

How can I downgrade from Yosemite 10.10.5 (current OS) back to Mavericks? I would rather have the look and performance of Mavericks.

I do not have a Time Machine backup of Mavericks any longer as I upgraded to Yosemite, about five months ago. Mavericks Time Machine would be to old to use anyway.

Installed Mavericks 10.9.5 on a external drive for now. I all goes well there I'll copy the external drive to the internal drive. What options do I have to get my files from Yosemite to the new installation of Mavericks?

Thanks in advance!

AJ

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:20 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Apple Jack

If you have Mavericks installed on an external HDD, what is preventing you from transferring user data from the Yosemite HDD to the Mavericks HDD? Once you have the external HDD (with Mavericks) set to your satisfaction, erase the internal HDD and clone the Mavericks HDD to the internal HDD.

You can use Disk Utility>Restore or a third party software such as Carbon Copy Cloner. Both will also create the recovery partition.

Ciao.

Nov 30, 2015 10:46 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you OGELTHORPE for your reply.

My main concern was, if my only option is to copy data from Yosemite to Mavericks, like iPhoto, Apple Mail, iCal, iTunes would they work in Mavericks? Being they were upgraded going from Mavericks to Yosemite.

Are there any links on the support forums that mention what files and folders need to be copied and where to to place them in the Mavericks installation?

Tanks in advanceI

AJ

Dec 1, 2015 4:08 AM in response to Apple Jack

I suspect it is not going to be as big an issue as you may think. I am guessing that all the upgrades will still work in Mavericks. You may find this link useful:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/iphoto

Click on BROWSE BY PRODUCT.

If in doubt, post a query on the respective forums for a given application and other users will be able to affirm compatibility, or advise you of any potential problems.

Ciao.

From Yosemite back to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.