Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery problems with 4s after ios 9.1 install

After 9.1 install on my Iphone 4s battery storage drops 12 - 18% per hour and locks out around 50% power so that it has to be recharged. The power off function doesn't work now so I can't save power when I am out by turning phone off. Also lost iTunes and the voice function doesn't work on Google maps. Basically a complete screw-up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 2:50 PM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2015 10:28 PM in response to lawrence243

With the multiple, various issues that you are experiencing it is possible that your iPhone is running a corrupted version of iOS 9 or that the upgrade to iOS 9 brought to light existing software corruptions that were not visible until now. At this point, I'd create a backup of the iPhone to either iCloud or iTunes and then restore the iPhone. After restoring, you'll want to temporarily set up the iPhone as "a new device" to see if you're still having the same issues under default settings. If the issue seems fixed at that point, attempt to bring back your backup. If the issue comes back with the backup, then the backup is corrupt and you'll need to set up as new.

Dec 1, 2015 1:34 PM in response to theendlessnick

Tried as you suggested. It allowed the phone to be turned off and returned my Google maps audio and iTunes. Unfortunately it had no effect on the battery drain. It was still down 16% per hour. I turned location services off and it didn't help. The battery now lasts 4 -5 hours and dies. The battery was fine before the update installation so I believe it is still a software issue. Still looking for help.

Dec 11, 2015 1:05 PM in response to lawrence243

I went to Apple store and consultant re-stored the phone to "new phone" again using a little more complicated method that apparently clears the firmware which the regular methods don't. He suggested I try it out for a couple of days and if it didn't fix the problem to come back and he made an appointment for the Genius Bar. I could tell almost immediately the re-store hadn't helped - the batterey dropped 5% in the 15 minutes I was in the store. When I got home I did another re-store and this time used my saved data from iTunes figuring why re-enter all the data for my mail etc if I was going to have to go back to the Genius Bar anyway.

No apparent reason why but this resolved the problem. The battery now declines 2-3% per hour - about where it was before I installed ios9.1. All the other little problems appear to be gone as well. Just restoring the phone 5 times may be the lucky number - it was for me.

I won't be putting the new ios update on the phone.

Battery problems with 4s after ios 9.1 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.