Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Setup Two-Factor Authentication

"The two-factor authentication is not available for your Apple ID at this time."

I've been trying to set-up my two-factor authentication for a while now (8 months) and I still can't get it to setup. The error message above keeps popping up.

However, when I tried setting it up via the browser it says that it sent the code to my mobile number - but I never receive it.

This was also a pain to have my keychain restored. But fortunately that incident got resolved by Apple!

Does anyone know what the error message means?

Creating a new ID is not a viable solution; at least not for me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 2:10 PM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:24 PM in response to DaddyZeus

The signature in your post indicates that you are running Yosemite. Two-factor authentication is only available if you are running El Capitan and also meet other requirements. Even then it may not be available to you as it is being rolled out gradually. I meet all of the requirements and it is not yet available to me. See Availability of two-factor authentication in iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan - Apple Support for more information.

Until two-factor authentication is made available to you, you should be able to use two-step verification which is similar. Frequently asked questions about two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

Nov 29, 2015 7:24 PM in response to FoxFifth

The information in my signature was outdated.

I do have on all of my devices the latest OS running.

It's clear now that the two-factor authentication is a work in progress, because way before El Capitan was launched I initiated it. Then for security reasons you had to wait 30 days before it got activated. Well, it never did!

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Regards,

Cannot Setup Two-Factor Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.