Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro out of memory

My MacBook pro 15" late 2013 is out of memory. Can I add more?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 3:08 PM

7 replies

Nov 28, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Alli24lsu

Do you mean the SSD or RAM? I have an MBP late 2013 with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. If it is the SSD, and you cannot remove files, then go to OWC. They have a way to add a second internal SSD. If it is RAM you are SOL. I occasionally fill system memory even with 100 GB free on the SSD for virtual memory. The solution every time has been a restart. It may be a bug in El Capitan. Hope this helps.

Nov 28, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Alli24lsu

Stedman1 is right. You have been able to upgrade the SSD on all MacBooks since 2010. At OWC the upgrade to 512 (really 480) GB is not too bad, but if you need to upgrade to 1 TB, it gets more expensive than I would want to pay. If you are already at 512 GB, you might consider an inexpensive USB 3.0 HDD like the Western Digital Passbook.

Nov 28, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Alli24lsu

If you mean Ram yes your ram can be upgraded if your don't have a Retina Macbook Pro. Unfortunately if you have the MacBook Pro retina you will not be able to upgrade your ram.

However if you're looking to upgrade your hard drive space. Yes you can. But if you have the retina computer it is a little bit more complicated than the previous model, and a lot more expensive. The steps fallowing give you instructions on how to replace the hard drive/SSD on this computer

1. Find out what kind of computer you have.
  2. go to http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC
  3. These are 3rd party SSD Drives you can get to increases your memory on your Computer.
  4. Ones you get the new memory you would like to have Fallow in instructions to install it. If you don't know how to install this part or you question your skills on the install. I HIGHLY recommend having somebody install it for you. The SSD is mounted right to your Motherboard.

Nov 28, 2015 8:02 PM in response to cable from dogawa-ku

I use a 1TB passport external drive and keep all of my pics, music and movies on it. Not only does it back up my entire mac every other day (or at least reminds me because I don't keep it constantly connected to it) it also allows my mac to run really fast! I barely ever have a problem with a spinning wheel and lag time. I also feel a lot safer knowing my entire mac is backed up and put away in case something happens. The following is what I have now, but I had your exact MacBook before I had to hand it over to my college son and upgraded to this one. I did the exact same thing with using my 1TB external drive on it.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch-early 2015)

Memory 8GB 1867MHz Intel Core i7 running El Capitan

This is my storage as of tonight:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro out of memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.