You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable Autosave in Preview?

I find Preview is altering my PDF files, autosaving "changes" when I rotate my view etc. I have already chosen "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" in system preferences. When I quit Preview and choose to revert changes, the file date on my PDF file is changed anyway. How do I disable this auto-save feature in Yosemite?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:37 PM

Open Terminal and copy and paste this command for Preview:

defaults write -app 'Preview' ApplePersistence -bool no

To disable it globally:

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool no

Press Return key, then reboot.

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 10:10 PM in response to macjack

Thanks for your reply. I did both commands. This works with the pdf files. However I notice with TextEdit, I would start typing in a file after a few minutes of inactivity and I get the error

"You don't have permission to write to the folder that the file "xxxx.rtf" is in."

This error occurs when TextEdit would normally want to autosave. I can click OK, and then continue typing, or I can type command-S and it saves fine. I would like not to see this error when TextEdit tries to autosave. Is there another step I can take to complete my reversion to old style saving only want I explicitly save?

Nov 29, 2015 11:36 PM in response to tkoyn

When you have that System Preferences : General panel's Ask to keep changes when closing documents checked, then autosave is disabled, but the command+s save shortcut is not. You can verify this by looking at the red traffic light in the application. There is a darker center to it that indicates that the document has not been saved, and it will not change, as it would with autosave enabled.

I can open a PDF in Preview, and add several annotations. As long as I choose quit, do not reflexively apply command+s to save, and select Revert, the document does not change. Even the modified time is not updated. I have no ApplePersistence set either globally, or in Preview.

Tested: OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

How do I disable Autosave in Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.