Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes Windows 8 no longer play HD movies

After the most recent upgrade to iTunes to 12.3.1.23, iTunes on my Windows 8 desktop it will no longer play any HD movies. All I get is a black screen. It doesn['t freeze - I can easily exit and play the extras for a movie, but not the movie itself. I have nearly 30 HD movies in my collection, all purchased from the iTunes store. I have the latest video driver and software, and all of these movies played without a problem in the previous version of iTunes. I can still play SD movies. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

PC

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:21 AM

Hello BobTheBold,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are having an issue playing purchased HD movies from iTunes on your Windows computer. To begin the troubleshooting process, I suggest reading over the following two articles. Are you by chance receiving a alert or error message when you try to play the HD movies?

iTunes for Windows: Unable to view or play HD video content that requires HDCP - Apple Support

About HD videos in iTunes - Apple Support

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 6:21 AM in response to BobTheBold

Hello BobTheBold,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are having an issue playing purchased HD movies from iTunes on your Windows computer. To begin the troubleshooting process, I suggest reading over the following two articles. Are you by chance receiving a alert or error message when you try to play the HD movies?

iTunes for Windows: Unable to view or play HD video content that requires HDCP - Apple Support

About HD videos in iTunes - Apple Support

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2015 8:00 AM in response to BobTheBold

Have the requirements for HDCP changed after the last iTune update? As I said, all of these movies played without a problem until the latest update. Unless some part of the HDCP standard changed at the same time at the update, it would appear that the update is the cause of the problem. Is there any way to revert to a previous version of iTunes so I can check out this assumption?

Nov 30, 2015 8:52 AM in response to BobTheBold

Greetings BobTheBold,

Thank you for the follow-up reply along with this extra information. Because the information in the previous articles were unable to assist you in resolving the HD movie playback issue, I would suggest contacting AppleCare. Contacting Apple Support will allow us to dig in to your situation and help you to get this resolved.

Apple - Support - Solutions

Have a great day!

Why does iTunes Windows 8 no longer play HD movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.