Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro French keyboard issues

Hello,

I hope I can find an answer here with your help even though my issue may be specific to the French configuration of the iOS 9 keyboard.

Each time I tap on the " 4 " key, the auto-correction changes it to a " 4' " even though nothing of the sort is set in the text replacement settings.

Same thing goes for the the " à " key, which has its own key on the iPad pro en French, every time I enter it and then press space, the 'à' is automatically erased... This is really annoying and I haven't found any solution...

If by any chance someone has an idea in mind ,]], it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:13 PM

13 replies

Nov 29, 2015 4:48 AM in response to Charliie

Unfortunately you can't get into the data base. How about a work around ? In settings> general> keyboard> text replacemnt> tap the plus sign. In phrase put 4. In shortcut put 44. Tap done. If you want a 4 tap 44. Do the same with the the à key. It's a bit clunky but short of a restore it's all I got.

Do you have the keyboard shortcuts where you could hold the e and slide you finger up to à ?

Nov 29, 2015 3:00 AM in response to bobseufert

I tried to do that for the à key, but the text replacement sends an error because expressions & shortcuts must have at least two letters 😟

but it'll work for the 4 issue, thanks 🙂

I do have the keyboard where you can hold and slide, thanks for reminding me, I made the test and the à key stay put when I uses the hold and slide up option, but not with the à underneath the 0.

So I contacted Apple and, after a hard reboot, a restore and so on, since it's still exactly the same, they are going to notify the engineers so they can fix this in a future update...

Thanks for your help and time

Aug 9, 2016 11:47 PM in response to bobseufert

Hi Bob

how would you do that precisely?

I tried to Reset the keyboard dictonary : it does not work.

Yesterday I spent time with Apple Care service on the phone, then 3 hours in Apple Store Louvre in Paris, and no one has heard of this problem. It is not in Apple's KB.

We tried, one more time, to reset settings & content : no success

Then to restore to factory image : no success

I finally got a replacement iPad Pro but it has exactly the same issue.

All iPads Pro in the showroom were also affected.

I wonder why there are not more people complaining about the iPad Pro 12.9 French keyboard autocorrect issue!

The bug can be reproduced on Notes by typing lowercase à at the beginnin of a new line in Notes, then typing space.

Both virtual keyboard and physical AZERTY Smart Keyboard are affected.

The only workaround is to disable Autocorrection

Aug 10, 2016 12:16 AM in response to bdelagoutte

My mistake. I thought you were refering to the missing dictionaries caused by IOS 9.3.4 which was fixed today.

Rereading your post if you say turning off auto-correct fixes it then turn it off, at least for the time being. I've never used it and heard real horror storys about it.

Be sure to send Apple feedback at the link below.

Sorry I don't have better a better solution for your problem.

https://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

iPad Pro French keyboard issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.