Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse A1296 tracking issue - clicks but cursor won't move.

I've been using this mouse for quite some time now and it's recently stopped tracking. I made sure that it was free of lint or trash around the sensor area, I changed the batteries, I've tried various different mouse pads and surfaces. It's an older mouse so I haven't found a recently answered question. My guess is that it's lived it's life by now but my question is there any way Apple can repair it for me? Is there an out of warranty repair? It's well over the year. Keyboard is still running strong, I guess it's some kind of design flaw with the Magic Mouse? Should I just buy a cheap Logitech mouse or is there a trick to get this mouse back working? Is it even worth trying to fix it myself? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:56 PM

1 reply

Nov 29, 2015 1:06 AM in response to Fahhdel

Apple do not repair mice and I read that the old magic mouse is not quite so readily available. All the same you shouldn't have too much problem replacing it.

But the mouse may not be dead. The lint and detritus may not have been totally cleared away, and there is other matter that can settle on the sensor. Try this, and do similar every three months if it works.

1. Turn off the mouse. Get a cotton bud (Q tip), dampened with white vinegar (not wet) and gently rub the top of the sensor. Leave it a few minutes then ...

2. Get some clean white paper; turn the mouse upside down, dab the scroll wheel with the dampened cotton bud and run it vigorously around on the paper in a figure of eight pattern for a minute or so. That should remove odd bits of detritus from the scrolling wheel. You will see the results on the paper. Leave a few minutes then ...

3. Turn on the mouse and check you have a steady green light.

And hopefully, off you go.

Magic Mouse A1296 tracking issue - clicks but cursor won't move.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.