Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing your iCloud

My iPhone has been connected to my parent's iCloud since I got it, but I want to move it to my iCloud and Apple ID. I know how, but if I change it to mine will it delete all my messages, imessages, contacts and apps?

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:32 PM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2015 5:39 PM in response to musicalelsa

musicalelsa wrote:

My iPhone has been connected to my parent's iCloud since I got it, but I want to move it to my iCloud and Apple ID. I know how, but if I change it to mine will it delete all my messages, imessages, contacts and apps?

The answer isn't straightforward. Your messages will be saved. Your iMessages will be saved if you use your phone number for iMessaging, not the iCloud ID. For contacts, go to Settings/iCloud and turn off Contacts. You will be asked if you want to keep them on the phone. Choose "Yes." Likewise for Calendar and Notes, if you want to save them. It will not delete apps, but you will need the Apple ID and password they were purchased with to update apps. Then log out of the Apple ID account in iCloud, then log in with yours (or create one if you don't have one).

Changing your iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.