Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

failed windows 8.1 installation through bootcamp

Hi,

I was trying to install a windows 8.1 partition on my macbook pro through bootcamp assistant. All of a sudden my computer restarted and the message "Your computer restarted because of a problem." appeared on my screen. When I logged back in I found that there was 40GB missing from my storage and I couldn't find my windows 8.1 partition anywhere. It still shows that my Flash Storage has a capacity 121GB but my Macintosh HD only shows a capacity of 80GB... Can anyone help me with this and help me restore my mac to the way it was? Thank you.

User uploaded file

*I am not very tech-savvy so I'm sorry in advance if my explanation seems kind of simplistic.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:30 PM

10 replies

Nov 15, 2017 1:52 AM in response to Loner T

Before erase the disk I made some researches on the community and I found this issue: My Macbook Pro Retina doesn't see internal SSD drive

Could it happen to me also ? I'm sorry if the question seems stupid, but i've never erased an SSD so I want to be sure that nothing bad will happen when I'll restore from Time Machine. That something I can do to avoid this situation?

Nov 28, 2015 5:57 PM in response to jnihira

The simplest and safest method to get your disk space back is

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

failed windows 8.1 installation through bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.