Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried all of these, still wont connect. I need to update my os x and it wont let me.

For months now I've been trying to update my os x, but when I open the app store it says it can't connect to the internet. My computer is connected to the internet, as is obvious from my ability to post this. I tried all of the things apple suggested, even tried updating through terminal. Nothing has worked. I don't really have time to go to the Apple Store to have the 'geniuses' fix it, at least not before this project is due and I keep getting screwed over because certain sites and apps won't communicate properly without me updating.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 5:54 PM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2016 8:06 AM in response to StupidBird

Same here. None of the suggestions worked. Even after entering my two-step verification passcode, App Store won't complete the login process.

Don't have Avast, third-party firewall, or security app.

Strangely, I don't have this problem on my Macbook Pro, even though it is running the same version OSX (10.11.2). So I don't think the problem is related to El Capitan. Also, I can log in to my account via the Apple Web login (https://appleid.apple.com/). So the problem is not caused by a wrong password or bad login credentials. If we knew what steps Apple uses to verify an account, we could troubleshoot.

It s*cks that I can't apply any updates to my apps!

Jan 21, 2016 9:29 AM in response to macTATAAbox

UPDATE:

I discovered that the accountsd daemon was interferring with my ability to login to the App Store. By killing the process, I was able to log in:

FIND PROCESS ID

$ ps aux | grep accounts

KILL PROCESS USING ID FOUND IN PREVIOUS STEP

$ kill -9 PID

where "PID" is the process ID

Related to this:

http://scheyeniam.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-revive-mac-app-store-when-its.html

which says that killing the storeagent process will also fix the problem.

Oct 3, 2016 9:06 AM in response to macTATAAbox

I recently updated to Sierra, about a week ago, and this weekend I notice an update is available in the App Store, but I consistently get the "Cannot Connect to the App Store" message, and have gone through all the steps lined out by the Apple help page. Everything seems normal on my Mac, and I don't have outside antivirus software running.

"storeagent" doesn't exist in my list of processes, or I would have tried killing that.

Tried all of these, still wont connect. I need to update my os x and it wont let me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.