Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

space gone after failed partitioning process. I lost 500 gb and can't recover it.

Hi, space on my hd has gone after failed partitioning process. I interrupted the process and after that my boot drive lost 500 gb which i wanted to use for boot camp. Now i can't recover it. Used diskutil resize volume, but get error message about wrong size on the cs and advice to do whole repair. : The provided Core Storage logical volume has an incorrect size; you should run whole-disk repair

Please help.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:10 AM

10 replies

Nov 29, 2015 8:04 AM in response to pavadebo

pavadebo wrote:

Hi, space on my hd has gone after failed partitioning process. I interrupted the process and after that my boot drive lost 500 gb which i wanted to use for boot camp. Now i can't recover it. Used diskutil resize volume, but get error message about wrong size on the cs and advice to do whole repair. : The provided Core Storage logical volume has an incorrect size; you should run whole-disk repair

The message is correct. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R during power-up) and click on Utilities -> Disk Utility, click on the outermost disk and click First Aid or Repair.

Nov 29, 2015 11:14 AM in response to pavadebo

The simplest and safest method to get your disk space back is

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk. This is the outermost Fusion disk. You can also do the same in Utilities -> Terminal using diskutil commands and rebuild the Fusion drive.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

Nov 30, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Loner T

SInce you know very much about the iMac and IOS, maybe you can also help me with the following. When I try to restore from time machine (full restore from external drive) using command R and restore, I get an error message stating the drive cannot be erased. After that, the only thing I can do is netboot and reinstall IOS. Otherwise the iMac won't restart. Perhaps you know why this happens and what I can do about it.

space gone after failed partitioning process. I lost 500 gb and can't recover it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.