Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format external Seagate 4 tb HD "ExFAT"? from NTFS

I hear that I should reformat this HD but am unsure how to do this and what are the proper choices from format menu?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Seagate external 4tb HD

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 7:14 PM

13 replies

Dec 6, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Wolfsings

First, formatting will erase everything on the disk, so move anything you want to a temporary storage.

In Disk Utility, select the hard drive in the list on the left. Make sure you select the actual hard drive and not one of its volumes indented below it.

Click the Erase button on the toolbar.

Set the Format to:

• ExFAT if you wish to use it with both Mac (10.6 or later) and Windows (XP SP3 or later OS).
  • Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you are only using on a Mac.
    • You can use the encrypted option if you need that. If you are going to use it on Windows, it won't work. However, you can create an encrypted disk, then partition it with non-encrypted partitions for use with Windows.
    • case-sensitive is only recommended for very specific situations and will often cause problems with some software.

Set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map

• That will work with both Mac and Windows (not sure of minimum OS required, though).
  • MBR is an old Windows partition scheme which can be used on both Mac and Windows, but you won't be able to boot from the drive on a Mac.

Dec 6, 2015 7:38 PM in response to Barney-15E

Ok, done. However, my issue is not yet resolved. I cannot get Logic Pro X to open on my computer. I purchased it, used it for many master recordings, had to get a new hard drive, did, upgraded to El-capitan, just reformatted my external hard drive because I was under the impression that the reason that I lost my masters is because my backups did not include everything on my external hard drive due to the formatting issue. However, there is a problem with Logic Pro X, it says, "internalized error"

Dec 7, 2015 8:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

So here's where a lot of confusion begins. When attempting to open a program that I reinstalled last night I'm receiving a prompt that says I need to, "mount my external hard drive and try again." To begin with I did not put this program into the external hard drive because I'm having issues with it. Secondly when I went to disk utility to attempt to follow the prompt my only option is to unmount. When I attempt to do that the procedure fails, everything that I attempt to do from there gives me the same results, a red x and a message that procedure has failed. I also cannot eject the hard drive now because it says that it's being used by some other program, I have no idea of what program.

Dec 9, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Wolfsings

Wolfsings wrote:

So here's where a lot of confusion begins. When attempting to open a program that I reinstalled last night I'm receiving a prompt that says I need to, "mount my external hard drive and try again."

If your previous use of that program set some reference to the external drive, then it is likely looking for the external drive. Preferences are not stored inside the app and do not normally get deleted when you uninstall an app.

Secondly when I went to disk utility to attempt to follow the prompt my only option is to unmount. When I attempt to do that the procedure fails

I was just asking you to Mount it if it wasn't. I don't know why it failed to unmount, but if something was using a file on it, it won't unmount.

Can you restart and see if the drive shows up in Finder under Go > Computer?

If it doesn't show up in Finder, but does show up Mounted in Disk Utility, can you run this command in Terminal and post the output? It will list all mounted disks and their partitions.

You can just copy the below command and paste it into the Terminal.

diskutil list

Just copy the results from the Terminal window, then paste into a reply here. If you paste with cmd-opt-shift-V, it will just paste the text and none of the background colors and such.

How do I format external Seagate 4 tb HD "ExFAT"? from NTFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.