Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download a rented movie to Apple TV 4 for later viewing?

I want to load up a couple movies on to my Apple TV prior to traveling so I can watch them on the road (rather than rely on hotel WiFi bandwidth issues to stream as I watch).

How does this work? If I rent a movie through AppleTV what actually kicks off the download to the device? When I purchase the rental, or do I need to start playing it?

Basically I want to download a few movies that I can watch at a later date right on the AppleTV without having to rely on streaming or downloading over a slow WiFi network.

I've tried downloading to my computer and playing via AirPlay on ATV in the past, but again, relying on hotel WiFi for even that has not been working.

Ive done numerous searches and I can't find any clear cut answers on if/how the AppleTV actually STORES download/rented movies.

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 2:24 AM

ATV4 is a streaming device. It's not capable of pre-downloading anything. The only content that is stored directly on the device are apps and screen savers.

1 reply

Can I download a rented movie to Apple TV 4 for later viewing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.