Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 9 and now it will not connect with iTunes

I have a 4s now with iOS 9. (which I use strictly just for music now)

My iTunes version is 11.4 and my Macbook is OS X 10.6.8

It's an older computer and is not compatible with the newer OS X that are available.

My iTunes suggested I update my iphone to ios 9 so I was for it but now I just get the message

"The iPhone cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

So I go to the website and I cannot download the newest version of iTunes because it's not compatible with the OS X version I have (and am stuck with)

My real question I suppose is how the heck can I just get the older ios back onto my phone?

I have tried restoring it etc and no luck. Any help is appreciated because I am getting nowhere. 😁

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 7:25 AM

You are out of luck. To use iTunes with iOS 9, you need at least OS X 10.8.5.

You cannot get an older version of iOS either. So you will either have to live without using iTunes with your iPhone, or get a newer computer.

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Owlex7

Restoring your phone won't do anything to the iOS that you are running.

Once you have upgraded, it is not possible to downgrade, so you are now stuck with iOS 9. To be able to use the phone with iTunes, you should have done the upgrade over the air - so direct onto your phone using wifi and you would then been able to use iTunes.

However, now you are stuck with what you have - you can continue to use your phone, but not with iTunes.

You CANNOT downgrade, so the only thing you can do is carry on the way you are using your phone without iTunes and then buy a new computer that allows you to use El Capitan and then the latest version of iTunes so that you can then sync your phone again.

Nothing more to be done.

I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 9 and now it will not connect with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.