Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does metadata transfer when sharing iphone photos

When I receive a photo via email from another iPhone user, will the time and date of the photo be transferred with the image? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to be and I am wondering why? When I save the image from the email to my photos app on my iPhone, it is completely out of order. I understand that the Albums section->All Photos won't sort it chronologically anyway, but even the Photos->Moments section sorts it as if it were taken when I imported it from the email. This is really disturbing on many levels as I would like/need my photos to sort properly when I receive images from family and friends. It's also disappointing because I use third party journal apps and they can't recognize any date, time and location data. I really hope that I'm missing something here because this is important.

If the metadata doesn't get transferred automatically, is there a way to do it? A setting? A third party app? A way to do it from the computer? I recall in Aperture perhaps that there was a way to transfer associated metadata. You would think that this information would be preserved, or at least give the user the option to preserve it when sharing, especially from iPhone user to iPhone user.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:39 PM

There are no replies.

Does metadata transfer when sharing iphone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.