Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is "Apple TV" listed twice under "Speakers"?

For some reasons, "Apple TV" is listed twice under "Speakers" when I swipe down (while playing a video) to get settings for Audio (see attached image). The first "Apple TV" is selected by default, which sends audio to TV via HDMI, which relays it to my soundbar via toslink. If I select the second "Apple TV" (which has a TV icon next to it), all video and sound stops.

After some testing, it appears that the second "Apple TV" is showing up because the Apple TV is picking up its own AirPlay signal. I verified this by turning on security options for AirPlay, and now when I try to select the second "Apple TV" under "Speakers", it will ask me for the 4-digit passcode.

I'm guessing this is a bug, so I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue.

User uploaded file

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:04 PM

17 replies

Nov 29, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the response.

I don't have multiple Apple TVs. I have one Apple TV 4.

The second "Apple TV" goes away if I turn off Airplay on my Apple TV.

If I change the device name to "Living Room", then I see "Living Room" listed twice (see picture).

At this point, I'm 100% positive that my Apple TV is listing itself as an available Airplay device (which shouldn't happen).

I don't have any random number after the name, and I don't think this is the same problem Protodd mentioned.

Does anyone with Apple TV 4 NOT have this issue?

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2015 4:07 PM in response to doxa

OK I see what your talking about. This is for AirPlay audio. There are users that may want to use an external audio system for certain tasks (I.e. Movies/music) but then use the normal tv audio other tasks (i.e. Gaming/apps) this allows users that do have this type of setup to easily change but for users that don't it defaults to the HDMI audio...

http://streaming-blog.com/redirect-apple-tv-audio-to-alternate-airplay-speakers/

Nov 29, 2015 11:57 PM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the response.

I understand that Apple TV can direct its audio to another Airplay compatible device. I have a FireTV stick with Airplay enabled, and Apple TV can detect it as a speaker (I haven't tried it though since it is connected to the same TV). So what you said is correct.

Still the problem is the Apple TV detecting itself as an available Airplay speaker. It really shouldn't even show up under list of available Speakers.

Do you have an Apple TV 4? If so, does yours do this?

Nov 30, 2015 7:50 AM in response to doxa

Yes and yes. Assuming I have AirPlay enabled on my ATV it will show the AirPlay option in the audio menu - sometimes I AirPlay through the 7.1 surround while others times I am OK with just my soundbar. I pick and choose depending on what I am watching. For example, Terminator is one for my surround sound. But Vacation? not a big improvement...

Nov 30, 2015 7:08 PM in response to Protodd

I see. So your ATV is listing your Airport Express as "Living Room" (or whatever your ATV's name is) then? That seems odd, doesn't it?

I don't have any other Airplay device, so I still don't understand why ATV is listing itself as an available Airplay device for me.

It doesn't cause any problem as long as I don't select it as the speaker, but it seems it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Nov 30, 2015 7:23 PM in response to doxa

That's "where" the stereo is located. This allows me to stream audio from another iDevice in my house (ATV3, iPhone, Mac etc) to the living room receiver and still be able to control the audio on the TV I maybe watching (I know it sounds crazy) for example, I like to listen to the local radio broadcast for football games rather than the announcers on TV but sometimes they may be saying something on TV I want to listen too. Or when I play video games i prefer my own music playlists rather than the game "music". Or during a party I can slide show on the TV (no audio) while air playing music on the stereo. We're only limited by our imaginations! 😉

Why is "Apple TV" listed twice under "Speakers"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.