Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My anti-virus has found infected files in /private/var/log/asl file. How do I handle this? Cannot find it in finder and can I delete it once I find it?

My anti-virus has found infected files in /private/var/log/asl....files. How can I find these and is it safe to delete it? I've read instructions in these blogs on how to access the files through the Terminal App, but am having trouble with that too because it won't accept commands or let me enter my password. What can I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 10:28 PM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2015 10:57 PM in response to remyban

... is it safe to delete it?

No. Never use any such product to delete files. You are likely to corrupt your Mac's operating system, resulting in the need to reinstall OS X, irretrievable data loss, or problems worse than that.

How do I handle this?

Uninstall the "anti-virus" software you are using and read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

My anti-virus has found infected files in /private/var/log/asl file. How do I handle this? Cannot find it in finder and can I delete it once I find it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.