Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a foreign sim card

Hi All

I was hoping to purchase an iPhone but have seen they lock to the first network you use and that you cant use a foreign sim in an iPhone. This includes SIM free phones purchased from Apple. I spend 9 months of the year in Zambia using an airtel card (no EU or South African networks are available in Zambia) the rest of the time im in the UK. I UK friends in Zambia who seem to have no issues swapping between UK and Zambian cards so wondering if this is a new thing or if there is someway around this? Thanks in advance

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:33 AM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2015 3:35 AM in response to vonny232002

Hi

I have purchased a total of 3 new iPhones direct off Apple UK and all of them could be used on any network. I have taken the phones abroad i.e. Greece Spain Italy and on every occasion I bought a local Pay As you Go sim and they worked without any problems. Even with my first iPhone a 3gs the first card used was Vodafone which I later changed to I think Orange and that worked ok.

In the last month I have purchased 2 iPhone 5C's factory refurbished by Apple UK and have them both working on Cosmote ( Greek Carrier ) on Crete.

So I don't see why you should have any problems.

Just be careful if you buy a second hand iPhone as you must be sure it has been unlocked from a previous carrier, and the other person has de-registered it from their Apple I. D.

Nov 29, 2015 3:59 AM in response to vonny232002

If you buy the phone directly form Apple either at a store or online and pay full price the phone will be unlocked and will work with any supported SIM card. If you purchase it somewhere else (SIM free) such as at CarPhoneWarehouse in the UK it WILL lock to the first network that is used to activate the phone.

The ONLY place you can get an unlocked phone is directly form Apple.

Using a foreign sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.