Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird battery drain/restoring after reboot issue

My battery drains mostly after accessing the cellular network, and I think that it does rapidly after using certain apps somehow in the background even while the data is not active.

-This seemed to be the case with a previous facebook app release, and it showed that the facebook app was running in the background before.

-right now, i can see that the home & lock screen, settings, and messages are the top 3 battery using apps though..

In the past, I had this issue with iOS 8.4.1, and I rolled back, and synced itunes, and signed out of itunes on my iphone 5, and that stopped the issue prior.

However, after updating several apps such as LINE, Snapchat, Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram, my battery is draining ultra-fast; possibly even when I am not using them. I find that it seems to happen simply after accessing the network by wireless or Cellular network. But I think that it might happen from accessing instagram quite possibly. It might be that or or snapchat. yet sometimes I don't use one of those I think.

But I am finding that my battery will show something like 60-80 percent, then after 20-30 minutes, it drains very low (or shows that it is drained. On Thursday, it went from 60ish percent to 17, then I turned it off, then on, then it showed that it needed charged. when I plugged it in later, and did a hard reset, it suddenly showed 67 percent.

Tonight, I don't know what it was on, yet I think that it was on 87 percent. Twenty minutes later, I accessed my cellular network, and all of the sudden it showed 1%. after accessing instagram and possibly Line. After shutting down and restarting a bit later, it showed i needed a charge, yet after a doing a hard reset, it showed power at somewhere between 42 and 47%, which I think means that it wasn't actually drained all the way. I think that there is something wrong and that it is related to one or more of the apps. Then it started draining quickly on the display. So I shut it down again. Later, after turning it on, it showed that it needed a charge, but the restart or hard reset did not do anything. But when I plugged it in and did a hard reset, it showed a higher percentage again.

I feel like this may not simply be a bad battery, just like in the past when people said to replace my battery when the iOS had a glitch. How can I test this regarding the apps or somehow do anything to resolve this issue without getting a new phone or battery?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 10:30 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:12 AM in response to JoshuaCM

last night, it must have gone from 90ish to around 49-55 in 20-30 minutes. i shut it off, then turned it on, and it was about 60ish. i turned it off again, then on, and received a text, and it was 1%. no data was turned on. i did a hard reboot, and it asked for a charge, and i tried to to reboot, and nothing happened. i plugged it in, and once again i was able to do the hard reboot immediately and be in the higher percentage immediately after plugging it in. I think that maybe it was higher 60s or 70s after plugging it in and rebooting. I would like to know if anybody knows anything about this.

i really did not have it exactly like this until after upgrading apps to their "ios 9 compatibility." but iphone 5 has had too many glitches and i cannot afford to get a new phone yet. If it were simply a battery issue, shouldn't it also show a steady change in the percentage, not like the original percentage, and going back and forth?

Dec 7, 2015 9:14 AM in response to JoshuaCM

Anybody? This continues to occur. I think that sometimes if it is not in use, it doesn't drain, even though it is on. Maybe even sometimes when I barely use the data. But sometimes when it often is hardly used, and it might quickly go from a high percentage to 1% on the display after accessing the network. I reset it, then it says it needs charged. If I do a hard reset, then the power jumps back up, but it might start draining again faster. I plug it in, and it charges quicker than normal.

Before I updated the apps, it wasn't doing this. If the battery was low, it would take a little while to charge. Now it takes long, but if the battery shows that it has drained, then it does what I described above, and it had previously charged, it might show a full charge within minutes.

I don't really know if it is the battery or the apps, but due to the issue that I had with a previous release of the facebook app (draining power quickly), and the previous issue that I had with the update of ios 8.4.1 and some issue with logging in and out of itunes (also causing some problem), I want to try to see if there is some resolution besides trying to replace the battery.,. I cannot get a new phone at this time.

weird battery drain/restoring after reboot issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.