Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 Mac Pro RAM

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon @ 2.8ghz with 2 GB of ram. I want to upgrade the RAM and have looked into this but am confused about getting Apple Certified and ECC. Will regular DDR2 RAM work in the computer? And can I get any RAM with a heat sink or only an Apple Certified one? What are my options and best bets?

Mac Pro, 2 X 4 CORE XEON @ 2.8 Ghz

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 1:19 AM

You can use non-ECC memory but you can't mix ECC and non-ECC.

You need a heat sink.

Macs are picky about memory so you need to get the memory from a place that guarantees they will work with your Mac. Just matching specs is not sufficient.

3 replies

Nov 29, 2015 8:14 AM in response to liamdai2

The Mac Pro runs it internal fans much more slowly that other Server-class computers, because it is intended for an office environment, not a server-room. If you do not get DIMMs with the required HUGE Heatsinks that Apple specifies, they will die very quickly from overheating.

If you do not get DIMMs with the Apple-specified temperature sensors, lack of any sensor input will cause your Mac Pro fans to run at maximum speed at all times. It is very loud.

2008 Mac Pro RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.